This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Walmart Going Gluten Free

Guest barbara3675

frenchiemama Collaborator
Frenchiemama----I really don't know where Chipewa is, but I live in Conover which is north of Eagle River and about 10 minutes south of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  I am waaaaaaaaaaay up there.  My original home is Janesville and I go there often as my children, parents and friends still live there.  Nice to know where people are from, now when ever  I see a post from you, I will think of you as a fellow Wisconsinite.

Barbara

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, ok. When you said remote northern resort area the first thing I thought was Hayward or maybe near Ashland (not really remote though). Do you know where Eau Claire is? Chippewa Falls is right near there (the home of Leinie's, that I can no longer drink). So you're from Janesville? I used to live in Stoughton, Mt. Horeb and I was born in Pine Bluff. My dad still lives in Madison. Have you been to the Silly Yaks bakery in Madison? I want to try that place out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suezboss Apprentice
It's also a good idea to fire off a quick email offering a sentiment of appreciation in regards to this effort to keep us informed of the gluten status.  It takes a few minutes to look up Wal-Marts head office on line.  If they see a positive response, they'll capitalize on that appreciation.  When other food suppliers hear of the positive publicity, they'll follow suit.  I think the Celiac community is facing a wall of dominoes these days.  We just need to push altogether at this point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good Idea :D

Guest barbara3675

Frenchiemama-----I sure have heard of SillyYaks bakery in Madison and it is on my list for the next time I go down which will be September 6 for over a week. I work six days a week in the summer---hard, and then we close up for 10 days right after Labor Day as that is a really big weekend (did I mention I own Sundown Tavern and Resaurant in Conover?)---however after the weekend, it is like a ghost town around here. Lots of people come up and take out their piers etc and then the fall people haven't started to come up yet. My husband goes to Canada fishing and I go SOUTH. Anyway.......have you ever gone to Whole Foods in Madison? It is on University Avenue real near to the campus and they have lots of great gluten-free food. Whole Foods has their own bakery and they import foods to their stores around the US. The cinnamon-raisin bread is TO-DIE-FOR. It is as good as anything you had before you went gluten-free....with some butter and cinnamon and sugar, major YUM. Nice talking with you.....Barbara

Guest nini

My husband knows the manager of our local Wal Mart, and she told him that they are shooting for trying to have all of the "labeled" gluten-free Great Value Products on the shelves by the end of August. They currently have a LOT of their Great Value Products on sale, reduced for quick sale kind of thing, so that they can bring in the newly labeled products asap.

PicturePerfect Explorer
About a year ago I heard legislation was passed to require companies to list if their products contain gluten.

So this legislation is going into effect now and within the next few months?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is supposed to start in January of 2006

Canadian Karen Community Regular

celiac3270,

Wow! I can't believe there is not ONE Walmart in NYC!!!!! That's amazing!!

p.s. I hope these changes are taking effect in Canada also..... going to have to check on that......

Karen

chasesparents Rookie

I am from Wisconsin as well !!!!! I live in a small town called Hingham, which is close to Sheboygan.

Thank you for talking about SillyYaks bakery in Madison, I would have never known about it if it weren't for your conversation. I look forward to stopping there next time I'm in the Madison area !!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
rma451 Newbie
Frenchiemama----I really don't know where Chipewa is, but I live in Conover which is north of Eagle River and about 10 minutes south of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  I am waaaaaaaaaaay up there.  My original home is Janesville and I go there often as my children, parents and friends still live there.  Nice to know where people are from, now when ever  I see a post from you, I will think of you as a fellow Wisconsinite.

Barbara

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just wanted to say hello, I too lived in the U>P> for 6 years, my husband was stationed at the base and my last son was born at kI ,now closed,

only thing I ever saw was snow and more snow lol oh yea did see the sun, think that was called summer that day in july ,lol.

seriously though the country is breath taking , and although not much around I am sure it has changed in the 20 years since we have left,

would love to go back some day just to see .

I know this isnt about celiac disease but just wanted to say hi, rarely see anyone who even knows where UP :P is .

rosie

lpellegr Collaborator
Can some one link me ot the story?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From a postcard I got from the Celiac Sprue Association: For FDA to define "gluten-free" they need your input to the questions below. Your letter or e-mail must address these items to be useful to FDA. Details in Federal Register Vol 70 No. 137 Tuesday July 19, 2005. Information, links, and e-mail submission at www.csaceliacs.org

1. What should "gluten-free" mean on a food label? Why?

2. How do you identify foods that do not contain gluten? Time spent identifying foods?

3. What percentage of foods and which types purchased are marked "gluten-free"?

4. Does "gluten-free" printed on a product label influence your decision to purchase products having the same ingredients? To what extent?

Only comments sent to FDA Docket #2005N-0279 become public record!

Mail:

Docket No. 2005N-0279

Division of Dockets Management

5630 Fishers Lane, Rm. 1061

Rockville, MD 20852

Pass it on to all the celiacs you know!

celiac3270 Collaborator
celiac3270,

Wow! I can't believe there is not ONE Walmart in NYC!!!!! That's amazing!!

p.s. I hope these changes are taking effect in Canada also..... going to have to check on that......

Karen

OK...I had been thinking for the past year(s) that Walmart is stupid...they could make a mint off of the 10 million highly compacted customer base of the 5 boroughs... I know why they're nowhere, now. Read this in the paper a few days ago....

Some people decided (people also in the grocery industry) that Walmart was bad for the city--probably because Walmart, though not considered a grocery store, sells 1/5 of the US groceries. So these people who decided this, of course, don't want a big chain swamping their grocery stores...even though New Yorkers want the cheap prices (or gluten-free food).

grantschoep Contributor
Some people decided (people also in the grocery industry) that Walmart was bad for the city--probably because Walmart, though not considered a grocery store, sells 1/5 of the US groceries.  So these people who decided this, of course, don't want a big chain swamping their grocery stores...even though New Yorkers want the cheap prices (or gluten-free food).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats really not surprising. Most cities don't want Walmart's around. I know Walmart has tried most every city around here and gets rejected. Before I heard of the new gluten-free thing at Walmart, I wouldn't ever go to one either. Now, I guess I will head into one at some point. Its just Walmart has such a bad rap, you just feel guilty going into one.

elonwy Enthusiast

I actually refuse to enter Walmart. My mom lives in a small town in Hawaii where a Walmart recently opened. They pay thier employees minimum wage, treat them horribly ( has anyone else noticed the number of lawsuits?) and there are Mom-n-Pop stores in thier 4th generation that are going out of business. Also, whenever I'm in any store like that ( Kmart, etc) I feel like a rat in a maze. I also still expect decent customer service, but my friends just think I'm crazy for that.

I don't go in any of these huge chain stores. I was visiting my mom and she went into Walmart and I sat in the car. It's great that they're doing all the gluten-free stuff, but I won't shop there.

I don't want to get too political on anyone, and I don't judge anyone who shops there. Just my 2cents.

Elonwy

Guest barbara3675

My two cents worth......the WalMart where I live is really busy all the time and I think there are people with jobs that wouldn't ordinarily have them. Some of those people have been there for many years, like since the place opened 12 years ago. They are very friendly to me and helpful when I need to find something. I know there are people that just hate the place, but I love it and appreciate that they are catering to us gluten-free people. Tomorrow I am going 45 minutes away to go to a huge Menards and WalMart superstore and I will save more than the (PRICEY) gas in my car on what I buy. Last time I was there, they only had a few gluten-free things labeled, I am anxious to see how many more of their Great Valu products now are labeled gluten-free. I also shop in my hometown, but it is way more expensive. Barbara

connole1056 Rookie

I have not been on this board for awhile so when I came on and saw this I was surprised and thrilled! I am going to e-mail WalMart and thank them!

A bit off topic- as far as the legislation goes,I do not understand how this is so helpful to celiacs as wheat is only one ingredient that has to be avoided. I know it will make it easy to dismiss a product we see with wheat listed on the label, but we still have to look for oats, barely, etc. Are we viewing this as a step in the right direction and that is why we are glad? As far as I know the law requires only the most common allergens to be listed and wheat is the only one that effects celiacs (although many celiacs do have allergies on top of celiac disease). As I am sure you all know whenever new labeling laws go into effect there is a large amount of time given before the labels are required to be changed so that manufacturers have time to research the ingredients and design new labels. Most manufacturers change the labels long before they are required to, so

that is why we have been seeing the wheat allergy notes on so many products. I worry that people will assume that without the wheat being listed they will assume it is gluten-free and not look for other ingredients we need to watch for.

tarnalberry Community Regular
A bit off topic- as far as the legislation goes,I do not understand how this is so helpful to celiacs as wheat is only one ingredient that has to be avoided. I know it will make it easy to dismiss a product we see with wheat listed on the label, but we still have to look for oats, barely, etc. Are we viewing this as a step in the right direction and that is why we are glad?

Yep. It is a step in the right direction to get these things labeled, even if it's more helpful to other people with food issues than us. Wheat is the hidden ingredient in most of those "may be unsafe" items, and is, by far, the most ubiquitous of the four ingredients we have to avoid. This will clarify the vast majority of the uncertain ingredients, even though not all.

As far as I know the law requires only the most common allergens to be listed and wheat is the only one that effects celiacs (although many celiacs do have allergies on top of celiac disease).

Well, that's not entirely true. The law also requires that a definition for gluten-free be determined. It won't change the labeling on gluten-free items as quickly, but the portion of the legislation that requires the term "gluten-free" to be defined nationally is actually very important - for me, more important than the immediate labeling. (Well, that's not entirely true, since I avoid all milk, so I guess both parts are equally important to me. ;-) )

As I am sure you all know whenever new labeling laws go into effect there is a large amount of time given before the labels are required to be changed so that manufacturers have time to research the ingredients and design new labels. Most manufacturers change the labels long before they are required to, so

that is why we have been seeing the wheat allergy notes on so many products.

It was passed a little while ago (a year and a half, I believe), and the date for it to go into effect - when all manufacturers must have labels changed to take the new legislation into effect - is Jan. 2006. Not too far away!

I worry that people will assume that without the wheat being listed they will assume it is gluten-free and not look for other ingredients we need to watch for.

That's always a possibility. People already have to remember that with "wheat-free" labels, so it's not really a change. Just an educational thing we need to be aware of.

Guest DanceswithWolves

I actually despise Walmart and it's mentality of ruling the world. Gluten -free products or not...I'll shop somewhere else.

I won't make this a politcal thread but there's plenty of info out there about the growing threat of Walmart and it's practices.

Stay informed, people.

Tomorrow I am going 45 minutes away to go to a huge Menards and WalMart superstore and I will save more than the (PRICEY) gas in my car on what I buy.   

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha! Wanna talk about places that are worth hating? I hate Menard's so much. For one thing, John Menard is a rude jerk who thinks that the sun shines out of his butt. He has been on the city council for about 100 years and has thus far been successful in keeping any other home improvement stores from opening anywhere near here. A couple of years ago the Home Depot wanted to open a store here, and crybaby John Menard told the city council that if they allowed Home Depot in he was going to shut down all of his manufacturing operations in the area (hundreds of jobs). And guess what? No Home Depot.

Recently Menard's was fined something like $2.5 million for illegally disposing of cleaning products, of course this has been going on for years and he finally just got caught. Several years ago John Menard was caught (HIM, with his own hands, not store employees) illegally disposing of contaminated ashes and asbestos (he was burying the stuff in plastic garbage bags). He must have greased a few palms there because I don't recall him getting in very much trouble.

So yes, I hate Menard's. But I still shop there because I have NO other choice.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Oh, and no offense to Barbara. I wasn't picking on you for going to Menard's (like I said, I'm forced to shop there too). I just saw "menard's" and lost all control of myself! ;)

connole1056 Rookie

Thank you Tiffany. You always have such well thought-out responses and information for all of us. You have helped me a few times!

jenvan Collaborator
For one thing, John Menard is a rude jerk who thinks that the sun shines out of his butt.

Frenchie--You cracked me up with that one! That is interesting about Menards. My family has preferred them over Lowe's b/c Lowe's prices are so much more expensive. I may have to rethink that. Perhaps Home Depot is cheaper than Lowes??

I am not a Walmart fan either...but the good thing is their attention to gluten-free living gives us more pull and influence to push for other companies to do the same. When I met with the grocery chain Marsh, I was able to use Walmart's progress to 'bring the message home' about this issue being relevant. Competition is often the name of the game!

The one thing about Walmart... I consider myself pretty lucky that I can shop at Wild Oats or Marsh...buying gluten-free food where I want, buying organic if I like... Shopping at higher-end grocery stores is something I can afford to do, for the most part, maybe not all the time. But, I feel for those who choose to shop at Walmart b/c their income allows them little else. I hate their produce...the one by me has sub-par fresh foods. But, its hard for me to blame some people for shopping there. I have to say--the ethics of the choices we make--whether to buy fair trade coffee, organic and substainable produce, chemical/animal free products etc... is a hard one. It would be impossible to do it all right--unless I moved to a commune! I guess we have to do the best we can. But, for some of us, boycotting Walmart is one thing we can do... (Anyone ever read "nickel and dimed?" there is a chapter in the book about Walmart relating to this...)

One other random thought.... speaking of not treating employees fairly etc, my brother and a few others have boycotted "Cracker Barrel" b/c of their mistreatment of gays and african americans. You never know where hypocrisy is lurking!

You never know where hypocrisy is lurking!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everywhere. Sadly, you just have to pick and choose which things offend you the most and just deal with the rest. (otherwise we wouldn't be able to eat or shop anywhere!)

I have no idea about the price differences between the various home improvement stores, because of course we only have Menard's.

jenvan Collaborator

I agree Carolyn--we each have to draw the line in the sand somewhere. Whew! :blink:

debmidge Rising Star

Jenvan, I too read "Nicked and Dimed, How NOT to get ahead in America" and it was thought provoking. A teenager I know who is set to start Univ. of Connecticut was mailed this book BEFORE semester starts in order for Freshmen to read it, and read it well! TMessage: This is life without higher Education.

However, if I were to protest and boycott every employer who treated their employees like dirt I'd have to grow my own food, weave and sew my own clothes. There are so many silent employer-SOB's that we all work for that no one knows about. I've had jobs like the Wal-Mart type where I was underpaid and overworked and disrespected. But when you work for a small employer no one cares if you are working unpaid OT or if you are working in bad conditions, etc. Who are you going to complain to when there's no union?

There was (and it still is) a point in my life where I had to work a second job to stay afloat too, but I can tell you Wal Mart isn't the only firm out that that leeches off their employees. No pun intended, but Wal Mart is a big target and unfortunately, that's the way of the world. Perhaps instead we should send them a good comment card for every employee at Wal Mart that does help us when we shop there. Commend that employee for their help, etc.

I will go to Wal Mart in Sept. to see the gluten-free line for myself. Our Wal Mart doesn't have a full grocery store in it, just dry goods and freezer/refrigerator stuff. It's always crowded and look forward to a 20 minute wait in line to check out. A Wal Mart was sorely needed in my area as many of the larger stores are gone and stores like Kohl's will not settle here due to the fact that the area is depressed. I am in a section of Jersey that is seeing little new construction, etc. Investors do not want to risk their capital - can't blame them. So for me, it's Wal Mart, Target or drive to the mall for higher prices.

jenvan Collaborator

Deb-

Good thoughts... And the book--it made me think the same thing... grateful that I have options and the ability to choose where I 'want to go', so to speak...

connole1056 Rookie

I hear what you are saying. However, I do think some of this WalMart issue is being overblown by the media. People should shop wherever they want to. If a small store cannot compete, it may be hard, but I do not think a large store should be blamed for it.Thats capitalism. I have seen many long-term employees at the WalMarts I shop in. They do not look like they are suffering and I have heard them say they like their jobs. And I do think SOME minorities, not all, look for something call "discrimination" to advance their causes. Mind you, I do not think every group does this. I do think some members do. I have seen people play one card after another until one works. When this happens I think it hurts the group as a whole because it diminishes credibilty. Anyway, I think large chains have gotten a bad rap. I do not think a corporation should be penalized for doing a good job. I am absolutely in favor of unions, and I think WalMart will be unionized eventually. But it probably will take a long time. I do like WalMart. They have many items at good prices. There is no way I am going to go somewhere else and intentionally pay more so someone else can make money off me!! I think that is ridiculous. However, I know the other side of the argument and support the decisions of people who choose not to shop there, or anywhere else. I would appreciate these people supporting mine as well. So I just had to get that out. I am glad to find a large company, no matter what it is, helping celiacs!

Archived