This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Change In Alexia Frozen Potato And Sweet Potato Products

T.H.

Coleslawcat Contributor

This is on my list of ten thousand questions for the doctor. Just because we might not be sensitive, does that then correlate to no damage? I mean, can't we still be ingesting gluten and not tell? Only a blood test would tell? Is or is not gluten gluten? (!)

Plumbago

I did a follow-up biopsy at 19 months gluten free just for that reason. I never cheat, but I do eat out somewhat often. I wanted to be sure that my lack of reaction equaled a lack of damage. My bloodwork came back clean. My biopsy, which had shown complete villous atrophy also came back 100% normal. It was such a relief to realize that I was not causing damage that I wasn't detecting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

T.H. Community Regular

Just because we might not be sensitive, does that then correlate to no damage? I mean, can't we still be ingesting gluten and not tell?

Based on a little information on a recent study, I'd say we just can't tell on our own, although we can probably guess, based on how we feel, I'd suppose. The study was published last year (I think June?), and was looking at celiacs and how they are healing. By 5 years, a good percentage of celiacs hadn't healed - at least 1/3.

But in the details within the study was the fact that some of the celiacs who healed perfectly were those who were very strict on their diet AND those who cheated on their diet fairly regularly.

Among those who hadn't healed completely by 5 years were...those who were very strict on their diet, and those who cheated on their diet fairly regularly.

More strict celiacs healed, and more cheaters didn't heal, but it didn't sound like anyone had a clue why there would be both diet-types who healed AND didn't heal. If I recall right, it was even mentioned briefly as something that is worth more study later, to see if they can figure out what's going on to cause this. Figure out why some people can heal so easily, and some have such a hard time.

I hope they figure it out soon! Maybe there's something the easy healers have that we can get into us not-so-easy healers! :-)

Archived