This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Low Carb Desserts

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter has a thyroid problem and is gaining weight rapidly. That is being addressed but the Dr. thinks she also has insulin problems and perhaps an adrenal problem. He wants her to cut back on the simple carbs.

Because she has some food allergies this complicates things. And she has outgrown others such as dairy and eggs. She is only allowed to have dairy twice a week. And eggs twice a week. The Dr. fears if she eats these too often the allergy will come back.

I know a low carb cheesecake can be made but it involves eggs and nuts for the crust. She has nut allergies also.

Sadly her favorite foods are the really carby ones. She hates brown rice but loves white rice. Also potatoes in pretty much all forms. And pasta. I can still use these things but will have to increase the amount of meat and vegetables I put in them.

And she is starting to like salads but is picky as to what goes in them.

But she really loves her sweets! She is picky with those too. Doesn't like chocolate very much or things with nuts. Even the nuts she can eat. Is there such a thing as a gluten-free dessert that is low in carbs, not chocolate, no eggs, no dairy and no nuts?

I know there are sugar free candies available but they are not much better for us in terms of carbs and most of them contain sugar alcohols so I don't want her eating those.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gluten free overseas Apprentice

How about smoothies? If she got to make it and push the buttons on the blender, she might like it. Can she have coconut milk? That can be nice to add to a smoothie without using nuts or dairy. Then add her favorite fruits. Berries are low in carbs.

What about making your own popsicles?

Skylark Collaborator

What about something like this?

Open Original Shared Link

Roda Rising Star

Maybe you can find something on here...

Juliebove Rising Star

How about smoothies? If she got to make it and push the buttons on the blender, she might like it. Can she have coconut milk? That can be nice to add to a smoothie without using nuts or dairy. Then add her favorite fruits. Berries are low in carbs.

What about making your own popsicles?

She loves smoothies but I didn't know how to make them low carb. She did try coconut milk once and didn't like it at all. Normally we make them with rice milk and sorbet in addition to the berries. Also a drizzle of honey. So not low carb.

I will try that though.

She won't eat the Popsicles that we make. I do have plenty of molds. I also don't like the amount of space they take up in our freezer. I did buy sugar free Popsicles but I don't like her to have them very often because they do contain sugar alcohols.

Juliebove Rising Star

What about something like this?

Nope. Those all contain almonds and/or dairy. But thanks!

Juliebove Rising Star

Maybe you can find something on here...

No, sorry. Eggs in most things and dairy and/or nuts in the others.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AMom2010 Explorer

My new favorite sweet treat are frozen bananas. I like to put choc. syrup on top. You could even make frozen banana pops, dip in chocolate and sprinkles, coconut, mini m&m's, etc....

love2travel Mentor

My new favorite sweet treat are frozen bananas. I like to put choc. syrup on top. You could even make frozen banana pops, dip in chocolate and sprinkles, coconut, mini m&m's, etc....

I love these with chocolate ganache, crispy bacon and peanuts - lovely sweet and salty combo.

Juliebove Rising Star

Bananas are VERY high in carbs. So no go there. But thanks.

bartfull Rising Star

You could try making rice pudding with brown rice. She might not have dislike the brown rice so much if it had lots of cinnamon and some plump juicy raisins in it.

Juliebove Rising Star

You could try making rice pudding with brown rice. She might not have dislike the brown rice so much if it had lots of cinnamon and some plump juicy raisins in it.

She hates rice pudding and raisins. Besides that would contain dairy and raisins are the exact sort of carbs she has to avoid. But thanks.

cyberprof Enthusiast

My daughter has a thyroid problem and is gaining weight rapidly. That is being addressed but the Dr. thinks she also has insulin problems and perhaps an adrenal problem. He wants her to cut back on the simple carbs.

Because she has some food allergies this complicates things. And she has outgrown others such as dairy and eggs. She is only allowed to have dairy twice a week. And eggs twice a week. The Dr. fears if she eats these too often the allergy will come back.

I know a low carb cheesecake can be made but it involves eggs and nuts for the crust. She has nut allergies also.

Sadly her favorite foods are the really carby ones. She hates brown rice but loves white rice. Also potatoes in pretty much all forms. And pasta. I can still use these things but will have to increase the amount of meat and vegetables I put in them.

And she is starting to like salads but is picky as to what goes in them.

But she really loves her sweets! She is picky with those too. Doesn't like chocolate very much or things with nuts. Even the nuts she can eat. Is there such a thing as a gluten-free dessert that is low in carbs, not chocolate, no eggs, no dairy and no nuts?

I know there are sugar free candies available but they are not much better for us in terms of carbs and most of them contain sugar alcohols so I don't want her eating those.

Thanks!

Have you looked at the gluten free goddess's blog? She has a vegan pumpkin cheesecake that is really good and a vegan sweet potato pie. Blueberry crisp perhaps? She is also experiementing with no sugar (and no fake subs) so that might work too. She has a lot of intolerances and is also good about listing substitutes. Her vegetarian/vegan sweets would be no dairy no eggs by definition. Open Original Shared Link

Also, my hubby and I like baked apples and poached pears. Core an apple leaving a little bit at the bottom to act as a stopper, sprinkle inside with cinnamon, add raisins, craisins or dried cherries (or all 3!), a little bit of vegan margarine. I put in nuts but you could add a little gluten-free granola or quinoa flakes. Put in an oiled pan and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until soft. Tastes like apple pie but no calories or bad carbs. I don't miss the sugar but you could sprinkle on a bit of honey. Pears could be done the same way.

For poached pears, I don't have the recipe here but can look at home: Let me know if you want a recipe. Sometimes people poach in wine but also could use cranberry juice, other fruits, flavored tea etc.

I also make a fruit tart for summer: Very thin shortbread type crust, vegan cream cheese substitute, layered kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc, topped with a little bit of fruit puree or low-sugar glaze. I can send you the crust recipe if you want.

And then Peach Melba. Peaches with raspberry sauce served over (non-dairy) ice cream. Yum. Serve with one shortbread cookie crumbed over it for a treat. Google for a recipe, poach in a low-sugar syrup.

Good luck!

love2travel Mentor

As Cyber mentioned above, poached fruit is lovely. I like to poach mine in Port or wine with vanilla beans BUT that is obviously an adult version!

Another idea is to simply grill fruit directly on the grill. Pineapple, nectarines, peaches, etc. work very well. You can drizzle with a touch of a simple syrup, honey, agave nectar. Would she like watermelon cubes with a dot of balsamic vinegar? Very yummy. Or how about granitas? Easy to make and nice especially in the summer. I know you mentioned her not liking popsicles as well as your lack of space for them BUT there are some excellent new frozen treat ideas - they are one of the big food trends of 2011. Jusst search under Bon Appetit or Saveur.

Roasted strawberries are sublime - just omit the 1 T of Port...

bartfull Rising Star

Here is a link to a site that offers many substitutes for eggs. Open Original Shared Link

You could use gluten free Rice Chex instead of the nuts for the crust of the cheesecake and one of these egg substitutes and still make the low carb cheesecake.

Here is a site that offers low carb dessert recipes:

And here is another:

There are dozens of others if you Google "low carb desserts" With a few substitutions and some creativity, I bet you'll be able to find a few that will work.

Juliebove Rising Star

Have you looked at the gluten free goddess's blog? She has a vegan pumpkin cheesecake that is really good and a vegan sweet potato pie. Blueberry crisp perhaps? She is also experiementing with no sugar (and no fake subs) so that might work too. She has a lot of intolerances and is also good about listing substitutes. Her vegetarian/vegan sweets would be no dairy no eggs by definition. Open Original Shared Link

Also, my hubby and I like baked apples and poached pears. Core an apple leaving a little bit at the bottom to act as a stopper, sprinkle inside with cinnamon, add raisins, craisins or dried cherries (or all 3!), a little bit of vegan margarine. I put in nuts but you could add a little gluten-free granola or quinoa flakes. Put in an oiled pan and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until soft. Tastes like apple pie but no calories or bad carbs. I don't miss the sugar but you could sprinkle on a bit of honey. Pears could be done the same way.

For poached pears, I don't have the recipe here but can look at home: Let me know if you want a recipe. Sometimes people poach in wine but also could use cranberry juice, other fruits, flavored tea etc.

I also make a fruit tart for summer: Very thin shortbread type crust, vegan cream cheese substitute, layered kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc, topped with a little bit of fruit puree or low-sugar glaze. I can send you the crust recipe if you want.

And then Peach Melba. Peaches with raspberry sauce served over (non-dairy) ice cream. Yum. Serve with one shortbread cookie crumbed over it for a treat. Google for a recipe, poach in a low-sugar syrup.

Good luck!

I looked at those recipes and they are all pretty high in the wrong kind of carbs. Like rice flour and sugar. The cheesecake is out because it contains soy. She can't have soy with a thyroid problem. Honey is a bad thing too. And no dried fruit. All the wrong kind of carbs. We do like baked apples.

Juliebove Rising Star

Here is a link to a site that offers many substitutes for eggs. Open Original Shared Link

You could use gluten free Rice Chex instead of the nuts for the crust of the cheesecake and one of these egg substitutes and still make the low carb cheesecake.

Here is a site that offers low carb dessert recipes:

And here is another:

There are dozens of others if you Google "low carb desserts" With a few substitutions and some creativity, I bet you'll be able to find a few that will work.

I don't want to do a cheesecake because it is either dairy or soy. And Rice Chex are high in the kind of carbs she's not supposed to eat. I have googled and only came up with a couple of things at the about.com site but one does have dairy. I am going to try that tonight but am not hopeful because it contains Jell-O. She saw me buy the Jell-O and freaked. She hates Jell-O.

cyberprof Enthusiast

I looked at those recipes and they are all pretty high in the wrong kind of carbs. Like rice flour and sugar. The cheesecake is out because it contains soy. She can't have soy with a thyroid problem. Honey is a bad thing too. And no dried fruit. All the wrong kind of carbs. We do like baked apples.

If she can't have sugar, eggs, milk, rice, gluten-free flour, soy, honey, dried fruit, then she is left with sugar-free jello and other "fake sugar" things or fresh fruit and cooked fruit w/out sugar. Dessert is either sugar+carbs+fat or milk+sugar+fat or eggs+milk+fat unfortunately.

The suggestions I gave were for occasional "treats" and even though they have carbs, she has to eat right? So wouldn't she be able to save some of her carb allowance for Peach Melba - peaches poached in unsweetened juice/tea, raspberries pureed into sauce? Or a baked apple with cinnamon and 1 tablspoon quinoa flakes or oatmeal? I'm not saying she has to eat a cup of honey and I certainly understand that it is restrictive...but she's gotta eat, right? Unless you're saying that she can't have fruit at all. Sorry, not trying to be argumentative but it looks like she has no options if she can't have fruit.

Juliebove Rising Star

If she can't have sugar, eggs, milk, rice, gluten-free flour, soy, honey, dried fruit, then she is left with sugar-free jello and other "fake sugar" things or fresh fruit and cooked fruit w/out sugar. Dessert is either sugar+carbs+fat or milk+sugar+fat or eggs+milk+fat unfortunately.

The suggestions I gave were for occasional "treats" and even though they have carbs, she has to eat right? So wouldn't she be able to save some of her carb allowance for Peach Melba - peaches poached in unsweetened juice/tea, raspberries pureed into sauce? Or a baked apple with cinnamon and 1 tablspoon quinoa flakes or oatmeal? I'm not saying she has to eat a cup of honey and I certainly understand that it is restrictive...but she's gotta eat, right? Unless you're saying that she can't have fruit at all. Sorry, not trying to be argumentative but it looks like she has no options if she can't have fruit.

She doesn't like most fruit. She will eat apples, pears, bananas and melon. She will eat strawberries if they are pureed. She won't eat whole berries. She won't eat quinoa.

She loves the apple crisp that I make but it has a ton of sugar in it. It's the sugar that makes it crisp. I have tried making it with artificial sweetener in it and it just comes out like apple soggy.

I am thinking she will either have to learn to like some other things or just give up dessert altogether. I gave it up and I'm fine with that. But I'm 52. She is only 13. At this point I have told her that she can have one dessert per week. Unless it is truly something low carb.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what the Dr. said about her test results. If it is pre-diabetes or diabetes she will have to make further changes.

cyberprof Enthusiast

She doesn't like most fruit. She will eat apples, pears, bananas and melon. She will eat strawberries if they are pureed. She won't eat whole berries. She won't eat quinoa.

She loves the apple crisp that I make but it has a ton of sugar in it. It's the sugar that makes it crisp. I have tried making it with artificial sweetener in it and it just comes out like apple soggy.

I am thinking she will either have to learn to like some other things or just give up dessert altogether. I gave it up and I'm fine with that. But I'm 52. She is only 13. At this point I have told her that she can have one dessert per week. Unless it is truly something low carb.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what the Dr. said about her test results. If it is pre-diabetes or diabetes she will have to make further changes.

Good luck. It's hard, and I admire your determination for your daughter.

Juliebove Rising Star

Good luck. It's hard, and I admire your determination for your daughter.

Thanks! I just gave her a piece of the strawberry chiffon bars. She hated the nut crust. Said the strawberry part was just okay. Too many strawberries in it for her. And I did puree them.

I might try making her a pineapple dessert that I used to make. You take a can of those pineapple chunks packed in juice. Take the chunks out and flash freeze them. Put on a cookie sheet and freeze till solid. Then you whiz those in the blender with just enough juice to make sort of a sorbet.

She is really mixed on pineapple though. The problem is often when she eats the fresh stuff she gets blisters in her mouth. I always get the blisters. The canned doesn't do that. But when she sees any pineapple she wants to eat it but is then afraid. So I don't know if she would eat this or not.

Archived