Februaryrich

Intolerant Or Anxious?

Rate this topic

I have been wandering the forum for quite a while now but thought I could get some clarification on my health issues. It's been a year since my health started going downhill.

It all started after a somewhat stressful time and then a mononucleosis (without any symptoms but the fatigue).

I should also add that this whole thing started with food poisoning I believe (big D, abdominal cramps, weight loss and blood in stools).

Here is a list of my symptoms:

Fatigue (first 2 months of mono, now completely gone!)

Hair loss (big issue for me)

Difficulty concentrating (I'm doing okay socially it's just the school thing that's bothering me)

Eyes can't focus (jumpy reading)

Weight loss (Went down from 145 to 129 and now back to 137.5 but can't get it up anymore)

Feeling somewhat disconnected (Lots of improvement)

Feeling like somethings in the way when breathing

Somewhat anxious too (much better)

Unrefreshing sleep

I've been a lot better but still not where I want to be. Does this sound like a typical gluten intolerant case or am I completely on the wrong forum? :S

I shall also add that I'm 18 and male

I have heard again and again that a certain stressful situation can trigger celiac/gluten intolerance. It seems it can be lurking around in your body for a while, then all of a sudden, the symptoms kick in. Mono or the food poisoning sounds like the start of yours. All of the symptoms you have are symptoms my daughter had, and she was diagnosed with celiac. Have you seen a doctor and gotten a blood test?

Thank you for answering. I did see a doctor for a blood test but was only diagnosed with mononucleosis and nothing else. It's nice seeing your whole family going gluten-free after your daughter was diagnosed with celiac.I will be seeing a naturopath for this issue. I haven't changed anything in my diet and improved a lot, is it possible that the intolerance faded away?

Celiac disease needs a trigger, and stress is one possible trigger. There are many sorts of stress, but a very common one is stress on the immune system due to an illness or infection. Intolerance may be transient, but celiac disease is not. Celiac disease requires a strict gluten-free diet for life. There is no other treatment.

Well, to start, you need to have a Celiac panel (blood test) done to see if you are gluten intolerant and/or have Celiac Disease. It sure does sound like you could, with all of those symptoms. The mono could have been the trigger. I hope you get some answers soon!