paperbagprincess

What Is A Gluten Challenge?

Rate this topic

I've heard two different things

1. You're on a gluten free diet, then you introduce enough gluten for a period of time so you can have testing done for Celiac Disease

2. You're eating a gluten free diet, you introduce gluten, if you feel terrible you 'failed' the gluten challenge.

Someone recommended it to me because my mum and uncle both had positive biopsies, I have the genes and my antibodies were weakly positive. I had a B12 and foliate deficiency and stomach problems. I was moving cities and was told it'd be 6 months + to get into have a biopsy, so my doctor advised I go gluten free. I did, not knowing at the time that I wouldn't get an accurate biopsy. My deficiencies improved, my stomach problems resolved and my antibodies are now normal.

I commented that it sucked not having a definitive answer, but the way I feel when I eat gluten is terrible. I'm sick for a week. I've been gluten free for 4, nearly 5 years. Someone recommended a gluten challenge, when I asked which one of the two they meant and that the way I react when I eat gluten was so bad that it's not worth, they just got angry with me!

Thanks for any help!

1. You're on a gluten free diet, then you introduce enough gluten for a period of time so you can have testing done for Celiac Disease

2. You're eating a gluten free diet, you introduce gluten, if you feel terrible you 'failed' the gluten challenge.

Someone recommended it to me because my mum and uncle both had positive biopsies, I have the genes and my antibodies were weakly positive. I had a B12 and foliate deficiency and stomach problems. I was moving cities and was told it'd be 6 months + to get into have a biopsy, so my doctor advised I go gluten free. I did, not knowing at the time that I wouldn't get an accurate biopsy. My deficiencies improved, my stomach problems resolved and my antibodies are now normal.

I commented that it sucked not having a definitive answer, but the way I feel when I eat gluten is terrible. I'm sick for a week. I've been gluten free for 4, nearly 5 years. Someone recommended a gluten challenge, when I asked which one of the two they meant and that the way I react when I eat gluten was so bad that it's not worth, they just got angry with me!

Thanks for any help!

Hi again pbp - we are stalking each other :P

The first one is correct. You basically eat gluten until you do enough damage (assuming you are celiac - which you prob are with your symptoms and family history) to show up in a biopsy. Fun right!?? :D

I wouldn't do it. You had the positive blood work and responded positive to the diet and have a family history. I wouldn't bother telling anyone you don't have the "gold standard" diagnosis (positive biopsy). Just tell them you are diagnsosed. My 6 1/2 year old is diagnosed without a biopsy. He had positive blood work and a good response to the diet. I did reintroduce gluten after he was 4 1/2 months gluten free. We made it three days and my husband said enough.

• Upvote 1

Thanks =]

I'm not planning to! It sucks I don't know for definite, but it's not worth it. I usually just say I have Celiac Disease and leave it at that lol.

Both of these are gluten challenges. In your case since you have a family history of celiac, you had a positive blood test and you have responded well to the diet and have problems if you injest gluten I would consider myself diagnosed.