AVR1962

Genetic Testing For Celiac

Rate this topic

Has anyone here did the cheek swap genetic tesing for Celiac? Did docs listen to the results?

i had the blood one.... came back positive.... and no my GI doctor still isn't convinced :(

I got gene tested through Enterolab a few years after diagnosis because I wanted to know which genes I carried.

Gene testing is far from perfect though since there is still much to be learned about celiac associated genes. Also since folks can have celiac associated genes and not develop celiac it isn't really diagnostic but can be part of the diagnosic picture. However in the US they commonly only test for two of the most common genes and if you are a celiac that has a less common one, like me, your doctor may say you can never have celiac if you don't have one of those two genes.

Thanks for the replies. I have had several things going on.....thyroid, parathyroid along with all the intolerances so I/docs are trying to determine what is linked to what. Had an MRI yesterday and hoping this genetic tesing my help with answers as well.

Thanks for the replies. I have had several things going on.....thyroid, parathyroid along with all the intolerances so I/docs are trying to determine what is linked to what. Had an MRI yesterday and hoping this genetic tesing my help with answers as well.

If it was a brain MRI if they find UBOs or bright white spots on the test that is diagnostic of celiac that has attacked the brain. Some neuros don't know this so if you have them and your doctor is one who doesn't post the results and I should be able to find some links about it form med journals that you canshow him.