This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Unsure If I Have Celiac?

JH58

JH58 Newbie

Hi,

this is my first time here,I have been suffering for 15yrs i'm now 58yrs,I was told 15yrs ago I has IBS saw a consultant 10yrs ago as symptoms was getting worse and I was vomiting with some of the bouts he did barium enema and said I had diverticular disease but not bad enough for surgery and that was it he left me to deal with the symptoms(constipation,diareah,left sided cramps bloating and occasional severe abdominal pain with severe vomiting and diareah)I have suffered badly over the years and 5 weeks ago saw a new GI cosultant who seems very good he did sigmoidoscopy & CT scan of abdomen and pelvis this still just showed up the diverticular disease,since then I have had 3 really bad bouts of the severe abdo pain with vomiting( starts with low abdo pain where i'm doubled with pain then vomiting every 10/15 mins for about 4 hours then diareah,I cannot leave the bathroom for hours.I went back to see GI consultant today and he did a blood test for celiac but doesn't really think I have that,my other symptoms are,fatigue,aching joints/bones,balance problems,foggy head.He said he will also do colonoscopy, does anyone recognise these symptoms,Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lucia Enthusiast

I'm shortlisting your symptoms here:

-severe abdo pain with vomiting

-constipation

-diareah

-left sided cramps

-bloating

-fatigue

-aching joints/bones

-balance problems

-foggy head

I've heard people on this board relate every one of your symptoms to gluten except "left-sided" cramps and vomiting. That is remarkable considering how long (& seemingly incongruent) your list is.

The best way to tell if you are reacting to gluten is to stop eating it and see what happens. As soon as I stopped eating gluten, within just five days, I knew I should be off it. Eliminating gluten from your diet won't hurt you, but it may have extraordinary effects on your health. I highly recommend you do this, whatever your official diagnosis.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I have no idea why a Dr. would not suspect Celiac with your symptoms. Every single one of them is on the list of Celiac symptoms. I had the left sided pain and nausea and vomiting too. It took a while...but I did heal. Even if you don't test positive for it, and many don't, you should still try strictly gluten free. It makes me sick to know how many women are sick with this and are told it is fibromyalgia or IBS.

I lost 7 years of my life...so I know how miserable you are.

The good news is, if it is Gluten Sensitivity or Celiac, all you have to do is give up gluten.

You can do that whether or not your Dr. agrees.

So many people have written stories just like yours...years and years of suffering for nothing.

You may have found your answer.

I'm very hopeful for you.

Give it a good try. And welcome to the board. Ask any qustions as you begin yoru journey. There is a lot to know about how to avoid trace gluten and cross-contamination. But if this is it, you are about to get really well.

JH58 Newbie

I have no idea why a Dr. would not suspect Celiac with your symptoms. Every single one of them is on the list of Celiac symptoms. I had the left sided pain and nausea and vomiting too. It took a while...but I did heal. Even if you don't test positive for it, and many don't, you should still try strictly gluten free. It makes me sick to know how many women are sick with this and are told it is fibromyalgia or IBS.

I lost 7 years of my life...so I know how miserable you are.

The good news is, if it is Gluten Sensitivity or Celiac, all you have to do is give up gluten.

You can do that whether or not your Dr. agrees.

So many people have written stories just like yours...years and years of suffering for nothing.

You may have found your answer.

I'm very hopeful for you.

Give it a good try. And welcome to the board. Ask any qustions as you begin yoru journey. There is a lot to know about how to avoid trace gluten and cross-contamination. But if this is it, you are about to get really well.

Thank you so much for your reply i'm hoping the test comes back positive,it will answer a lot of questions but if it is negative I will still give gluton free a try.

JH58 Newbie

Does anyone know if taking probiotics will affect the blood test result? Thanks

beebs Enthusiast

Does anyone know if taking probiotics will affect the blood test result? Thanks

They won't affect the test. With your list of symptoms I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Archived