LittleTee

Doc Ordered Blood Tests ... Should I Eat Gluten?

Rate this topic

I finally convinced my doctor to order a round of blood tests to figure out what is wrong with my crappy immune system (which I believe is due to celiac or gluten sensitivity). The tests include a celiac screening panel.

I'm sick now so I have to wait until I'm better to do the tests. It's up to me when to go in, I am thinking two weeks or so.

Right now I am eating a aGF diet. Should I eat gluten in the meantime, much as it might hurt? I read somewhere that if you're on a gluten-free diet, the test could be a false negative...?

you need to eat it for it to show up :(

How long have you been gluten free? If it has been quiet some time you may have to go back on it for 3 months than get tested, else the test will most likely show a false negative.

...and you need to eat the equivalent of 3-4 pieces of bread each day (in case you were not told that). Good luck with this!

Oy -- that's a lot of gluten! I have been on the diet for about 6 months, but have slipped or cheated a number of times, accidents and otherwise. And paid the price for it!

So ... pizza for dinner, I guess. Ugh.

Yea if you have been gluten free for 6 months even with slip ups you need to go back to a gluten diet for at least 3 months. Let your doctor know that you are going back on gluten for testing and if you become very ill on the challenge let them know. Even back on gluten you still may have a false negative.