GFreeMO

King Arthur Gluten Free Mixes

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone has tried the King Arthur mixes. The cookie and muffin mixes look great. I like how you can use them as a base and add your own mix-ins. I was thinking of buying some Udi's muffins but I saw these mixes and thought that these might be better. I am tired of buying things and throwing them out so I thought I would ask you all.

Thanks!

IMO

I have used Betty crocker, Pamela's , Namaste and KA cake, cookie and muffin mixes. I find KA superior to all store bought bakery items and all other mixes. Although Pamela's chocolate cake mix, and Namaste muffin mix are both very good.

My only problem with them is that I don't need a 2 layer cake , 2 dzn cookies or a dzn muffins at a time as I don't have a deep freezer and only 1 person in the house has Celiac and mom and dad are dieting. ha!

I am experimenting with using their flour mixed with flax meal and almond/ coconut flour to make smaller batches and healthier items.

I use their flour mix and have tried their bread mix. I like the flour mix. It's great if you want a mix without salt (low iodine thing) and without xanthan gum.

Compared to Pamela's I don't like it for pancakes. Hard to beat Pamela's for pancakes and I used the KA recipe on their website.

I liked the bread. Much better than the awful frozen stiff I bought - can't remember what brand. I am trying a Namaste mix today, I'll let you know what I think.

Love KA flour for making chocolate chip cookies. The recipe on the site is FABULOUS. don't know if it's the same as the mix.

IMO

I have used Betty crocker, Pamela's , Namaste and KA cake, cookie and muffin mixes. I find KA superior to all store bought bakery items and all other mixes. Although Pamela's chocolate cake mix, and Namaste muffin mix are both very good.

My only problem with them is that I don't need a 2 layer cake , 2 dzn cookies or a dzn muffins at a time as I don't have a deep freezer and only 1 person in the house has Celiac and mom and dad are dieting. ha!

I am experimenting with using their flour mixed with flax meal and almond/ coconut flour to make smaller batches

and healthier items.

I cut the cookie recipe in half and it was great. I cut the pancake recipe in half and it was a flop. Used the bread mix as-is from the box.

I have only used their gluten-free multi-purpose flour. It is really great! I make their pizza crust from their blog and the popover recipe on the box. I have read a few reviews on their pizza crust mix and people said it was not as good as the pizza crust made with the multi-purpose flour and the blog recipe. I don't know what the difference is between the two versions but if you are going to try one for pizza get the multi-purpose flour instead of the pizza crust mix. I made the blog recipe once using my own rice flour mix instead of the KA flour and it was still good but not as good as the recipe with the KA multi-purpose flour. The flour seems to be more finely gorund than most gluten-free brown rice flours so you don't get a scratchy/grainy texture.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-pizza-crust-recipe

Oh and I forgot to mention when I make it I leave out the buttermilk powder and use 1 cup warmed milk-sub (coconut or plain almond)in place of the warm water. I have also just left the milk powder out and used water and it does fine.

Because we have a long list of other allergies (egg, dairy, all nuts and on) we use them exclusively because they are a dedicated facility! LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!! The customer service is great too!

As for not needing a 2 layer cake, I agree. With the price of the mixes, I can't make them all the time. What I do for my kids (who are the ones who are gluten-free) I make it in a 9x13 pan and frost it. Cut it into serving sized pieces and freeze it! Then when I get a note from school "Birthday party tomorrow" I just go to the freezer and take a piece out for his bag and all is well! I don't think you need a deep freeze. I keep mine for 3 months at a time this way.

I love their brownie mix! It was the first time I had a gluten-free boxed mix that tasted exactly like the old gluteny brownies I used to eat.

I like to add this to other mixes. It's pricy but worth it. When I don't add it most stuff flops and I've been at this for a few years now. We sure didn't throw out anything made with at least some KAF! Never tried KAF's mixes, I like to do my own. I DO like Pam's stuff but I've tried some really pricy cake mixes, you add enough oil and egg and anything could taste good. I still would like to try Domata Living Flour.....why does this stuff cost so much??!! I really would like to grind my own. Still trying to find 10 people who want to buy a grainmill? Doing the same with a sauna I want to buy!

Ok, just finished the Namaste bread.

KA is like white Wonder bread (not as white and gluteny but you get my drift). Namaste is like Roman Meal.

Both have nice rise and texture for gluten-free breads and are yummy out if the oven but KA is "white bread". Depends on what you like, I guess.

Great. Thanks! I will get some tomorrow. :)