Nen

Weird Skin Thing

Rate this topic

I just figured I'd post this and give it a shot.

Back in January I had this really weird thing happen to me. I just all of a sudden broke out in a weird...well it wasn't a rash, but my skin looked all over very "speckled" or "mottled" looking. It wasn't a raised rash, but actually "in" the skin, red and white. It freaked me out, I noticed it when getting ready for a bath, and it was all over me. I also had a "pinprick" look on my lower legs, like someone had stuck a pin over and over in little dots on my skin.

I did go to the doctor, and he didn't seem concerned or anything, he just scolded me to wear warm clothes (I already do). It took about a week for this odd skin thing to go away, as it was going away it felt like I had been sunburned (tho I hadn't). Then the joint pain started. I felt like a crippled old person, with my joints all over hurting pretty good. My fingers actually swelled up from it.

Since this happened I've had much more mild joint pains on and off, but the skin thing hasn't reoccurred. I do have Raynauds, have since I was a kid (so does my brother and dad), but I never had anything like this. I still have no clue what it was, and just wondered if anyone else experienced anything remotely like this. The doc seemed more like "whatever". :rolleyes:

Ask to be tested for Fifths Disease. If you've recently had it, your antibody count will be very high.

It's BS if they say only kids get it.

Aside from that, sounds like an allergic reaction except for the achey part. Many autoimmune issues are mistaken as allergies/viruses.

My mom has the pin dot thing, and she was diagnosed with celiac. It going away now that she's on a strict diet.

By any chance, did you have a sore throat beforehand? I only ask because it sounds a bit like Rheumatic Fever. Your skin can be affected as well as your joints. I know--I've had it twice.

I don't recall having a sore throat, BUT, DH and I both had strep throat earlier the previous year (summertime). We were both treated with antibiotics, I was treated twice with them because he caught it and I didn't want to get it again.

Interesting Spruemylife about your mom.

I did have a blood test that day I went in, and the only thing that was slightly off was my white cell count was lower.

I think my son is just getting over fifth's disease. His rash was mainly on his trunk. It can take 6 weeks to get over and by the time the rash shows up you shouldn't be contagious.

Scarlett fever?

ITP? Idiopathic Thrombosis Purpuria (might have misspelled that)

I don't recall having a sore throat, BUT, DH and I both had strep throat earlier the previous year (summertime). We were both treated with antibiotics, I was treated twice with them because he caught it and I didn't want to get it again.

Interesting Spruemylife about your mom.

I did have a blood test that day I went in, and the only thing

that was slightly off was my white cell count was lower.

They don't run the test routinely. And most gp's don't recognize Fifth's/Parvo B19. They sent me to a Rheumy when I got it. He recognized it. It's VERY contagious. In adultsit can cause nasty and long-term misery.

Interesting, that sounds about exactly like what I went through, except the slapped cheek look. So it sounds like it is just a one time thing that happens then goes away, from sites I have been reading.

Interesting, that sounds about exactly like what I went through, except the slapped cheek look. So it sounds like it is just a one time thing that happens then goes away, from sites I have been reading.

Well, in kids it goes away.

In adults it takes longer.

In women even longer, sometimes.

Hopefully it goes away soon but don't be surprised if you have some changes - eyesight, metabolism, etc. And if you do, be vigilant about reporting to your doc and investigate autoimmune issues.

I get really weird,flaky,itchy and red skin on top on both of my feet whenever I get glutened. I just put some skin lotion just to make it look better and it goes away in a week