Jessica N.

Gluten-Free Kitchen

Rate this topic

I have been reading a lot on gluten and going gluten free and have seen a few articles posted about having designated cookware, toasters, counter space, etc. As someone who is just starting out gluten-free as an elimination diet is this needed? Will I not be able to tell if the gluten is bothering me if I use the same cookware as my roommate who eats gluten? I am feeling very overwhelmed right now!

I'm still debating this exact same thing! But in my case I think it's because I on't have a positive diagnosis yet, so I haven't taken that mental leap that this gluten free thing is permanent. But for you, because you have evidence of flattened villi I would definitely get your own cookware, have designated shelves and bench space for gluten and non gluten cooking. Cross contamination is a very real issue, and you know what? Your post just gave me the kick in the behind I needed to take steps to make myself safe. Thankyou :)

There's lots about gluten free kitchens in the 'coping' and 'post diagnosis' sections. Plus if you do a search for gluten free kitchens it should bring up a heap of stuff too :)

If you are just giving this a trial run to see if you feel better and don't know yet if this will be a permanent lifestyle change, then I would minimize your investment as far as cookware goes. Use aluminum foil or parchment paper on baking sheets. If you can truly scrub a pan/pot clean (stainless steel pot) then just give it a good thorough scrub and then maybe keep that one for yourself. Nonstick items are trickier since they can't be scrubbed, perhaps just buy one of the small skillets for yourself. To give your gluten free trial it's best chances, you should have your own toaster . . . for the short term, can you broil your (gluten free) toast? You should have your own jar of PB, your own tub of butter, your own jar of mayo . . . as knives transfer crumbs back into jars. You should have your own cutting board, but you can use a paper plate in the interim.