This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating Gluten Again

hercules25

hercules25 Apprentice

So I started eating gluten again on Friday. My doctor said to try it again and see how I feel plus I want to eat gluten so I can have my antibody test ran. (by the way how long do I need to eat gluten for the antibody test???)

The first 2 days I felt great, as weird as it sounds. Than I started to get mild burning in my feet, they hurt to walk on. Than the next day a severe eye headache. Than I could not sleep last night. I had minor tummy tenderness but nothing to worry about. Than today BAM intestinal pains started (which always elevates my heart rate) and here comes the big D word. The only thing the DR knows is I carry the HLA-DA2(DQ1A*DQB1*02) gene (yes I know NON Celiacs carry this too), he says no to Chrons and Colitis (even though I take a Chrons med). I feel like since it took so long to get the symtpoms that it has nothing to do with wheat and gluten. I dont have food poisoning and no bacterial stuff going on.

Also when I was in my 20's I use to get where my hands would crack and bleed, on my finger tips and it was horrible now that is gone my head is always itchy and sometimes bleeds and burns. I thought it was Psorasis but Dermo said its a Dermatitis. I guess I should check to see if there are many forms of Dermatitis or just DH.

Are there different form of dermatitis??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hercules25 Apprentice

Also should I request any stool samples by the dr and which blood work would be best requested?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It can take some time for antibodies to build up to a reaction when we have celiac or gluten intolerance. Your couple days to have a GI reaction follows that typical pattern. Now you have to decide if feeling like this for another 2 to 3 months is worth getting an 'official' diagnosis. You could still show a false negative on blood work or biopsy even after that extended gluten challenge. Your body however has given you the answer.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Also should I request any stool samples by the dr and which blood work would be best requested?

The blood work you are going to want after you have been back on gluten for at least 2 to 3 months are a celiac panel, hopefully with the newest DGP as well as the antigliadin IGA, IGG, TTG and a total IGA. It would be a good idea to have a vitamin and mineral panel done also to check your B's, iron, D etc.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

I was gluten free for over 2 and a half years then went back on gluten for tests. I was fine for about 2 weeks then everything started happening. From D to anxiety, stomach pains etc. It takes time for the antibodies to build up in your system and then you start getting sick again. You need to be eating gluten for at least 3 months and the equivelant of 2 to 3 slices of bread a day to Hopefully test positive.

Februaryrich Rookie

I was gluten free for over 2 and a half years then went back on gluten for tests. I was fine for about 2 weeks then everything started happening. From D to anxiety, stomach pains etc. It takes time for the antibodies to build up in your system and then you start getting sick again. You need to be eating gluten for at least 3 months and the equivelant of 2 to 3 slices of bread a day to Hopefully test positive.

Why do you even wanna get tested? Do you really care about having a label, after being gluten-free for that long?

• 5 weeks later...
hercules25 Apprentice

My doctor said the same thing about wanting a label and I have starting to see the point. I just think for years of being sick an answer would be nice and like she said I may never get that answer I have been seeking. And for all that time I thought I was gluten free I never really was, finding out here and there that foods I consumed were not gluten free. I think at this point I just need to stick to the basic of food. I bought Campbells Butternut Squash and ate it but now I dont think that was gluten free. I have decided to say screw the test and stay gluten free.

As for my blood work I get it done every couple of weeks. My red blood shows a bit low but dr's just shrug it off.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived