This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This Even Possible?

MJ-S

MJ-S Contributor

We have weekly lunch meetings where they order pizza in. I bring my own lunch, of course. I'm worried that I might be getting sick from the pizza "dust" in the room.

I hate the fact that we have to eat at these meetings, but of course everyone else loves it (it's paid for by work). While I used to be the one who did most of the typing, now someone else does this because I can't touch the same keyboard that is being passed around while everyone eats their lunch. I'm super careful not to touch anything, and I've even been eating before the meeting so my food can't get contaminated.

I've noticed that I often seem to be sick the day after these meetings. It happened last week, and today as well (we met yesterday). I've noticed it in the past as well, but I've resisted jumping to any conclusions because I don't want to have to ask them to change their lunches and I'm not sure I'm right. I just don't know what else could be causing the problem.

This week I've eaten pretty much the same thing every day, so is it coincidence? I already don't have dairy, and I've tested eliminating soy and corn (I seem fine with them). This week I also stopped the new quinoa flakes I'd been trying for breakfast (just in case) and brown rice pasta (just in case). I've just been having the same fruits, veggies, meat, and eggs I normally do.

I can't say for sure I've been glutened - I just know I'm more tired than I should be, my stomach hurts, and my tongue has gone white again. Whether it's cc or something else I don't really know. I go days at a time when I'm fine, and then all of a sudden I have a few days where I don't feel well. I'm very frustrated because nothing is changing in my diet as far as I can tell.

So is it possible to be breathing in pizza particles? Yesterday a co-worker was really close to me with his pizza slices. I know that people get sick from inhaling flour - can it still be an issue after it's cooked?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I would assume anything is possible. What is more likely is the crumbs ate getting on you or your stuff. Door handle? Are they walking out and touching other things that you later touch? Are they going to your desk later and touching your stuff?

And the other question, is it anything else? Is it that you are just tired from the work week, and your body is letting you know? Are you low on some vitamin or mineral?

It's a really tough call. Good luck.

JoshB Apprentice

Frankly I don't think it's possible, and you are likely endangering your relationship with your workmates by worrying about it. If you're concerned about crumbs on the door, then stand second in line and don't open it yourself, or wash your hands after the meeting.

Maybe you should stop in and see the doc, or take a vacation day and rest up. Hard to remember it sometimes, but people do get sick without the assistance of gluten!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I've never heard of an instance of "pizza dust" from an already cooked pizza contaminating someone however there are many other possible explanations. A more likely culprit would be shared supplies or shared door handles, sink handles, toilet handles, clipboards, pens, etc. Or those close talkers eating and gleeking in your general direction. :blink:

That said I would not bring this up in the meeting or anything. Instead, see if you can discretely distance yourself from people during the eating portion of the meeting--stand instead of sitting around the table if possible. If that is not possible then you may have to mention to the person waving the pizza in front of you that you would prefer he not do that. Using body language such as coverign your mouth and nose with a napkin or handkerchief or just backing away when he gets to close might be all you need to do to send the "back off" message. I'm not going to sugar coat it however this may cause some people to think you are going overboard and you may lose friends at work.

smeej Newbie

I think a lot of pizza places flour the bottom of the dough. Maybe that's what's getting you? That part would be pretty raw and airborne. Maybe there's another pizza place that wouldn't be as bad? Could you suggest some meal other than pizza?

Archived