This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Sleep Overrated For Us Celiacs?

New Community Member

New Community Member Explorer

Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

Could you elaborate a bit on the question?

Are you implying that we don't need as much as other people?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Your body repairs itself when you are sleeping so some of us will sleep more during the healing process. A full nights sleep is also important for anyones mental health.

bartfull Rising Star

For me, finally getting a good night's sleep has been the biggest blessing! After years of horrendous insomnia, going gluten and corn free has allowed me to sleep like a normal person. Overrated? Far from it!

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

I love sleep! It's so nice to sleep restfully again!

I may not need as much as I used to, but my 8 hours now is way more restful than the 12-14 I used to get.

Could you elaborate a bit on the question?

Are you implying that we don't need as much as other people?

I mean...it seems fatigue is a common occurrence among people with celiac. I seem to always feel tired and not have a lot of energy (I was just diagnosed a month ago). But then again, I have things I need to get done!! Does it help in the healing process? Or do I just ignore my need for sleep altogether?

Hope that makes more sense!

For me, finally getting a good night's sleep has been the biggest blessing! After years of horrendous insomnia, going gluten and corn free has allowed me to sleep like a normal person. Overrated? Far from it!

Corn free too? Is there a way doctors can check to "corn intolerance"?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

NCM, I have never been tested because I don't have insurance. From what I hear though, a lot of the tests they give are notoriously innaccurate anyway. I found out the hard way - went gluten free and started eating just whole foods - meat and vegetables and brown rice. When I ate corn I got sick. Got better, tried corn again, and got sick again. Now I am so sensitive to corn I can't even eat xanthan gum.

It's OK though. I feel good. Just last week I was having to take ibuprophen for an unrelated condition, and it made me sick and miserable, even after just one tablet. Advil uses corn fillers. Most other brands use wheat (or corn). I FINALLY found some corn and gluten free asperin powder, so next time I need pain relief I won't have to poison myself to get it.

Now it's been three or four days since my last Advil, and already I feel better and am sleeping agian. I feel like celebrating!

mushroom Proficient

Yep, corn has the same effect on me as gluten = sleepless nights.

Sleep can never be overrated :ph34r: .... only if it gets in the way of living, like Rip Van Winkel.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I became sensitive to corn shortly after going gluten-free. It didn't turn up in allergy testing, even though other foods did. Corn doesn't bother everyone who can't tolerate gluten, but it's one to watch out for.

I haven't tried reintroducing it yet. Corn tortillias are handy, but, dang, corn smacked me.

love2travel Mentor

I believe eliminating corn may be my next step. Have been very ill again lately - have eliminated dairy and soy as well as gluten and am feeling more sick than ever. :( It is so rare for me to sleep that I I can literally count my best sleeps on one hand in the last several years. Hope to get to the bottom of this soon! :)

Archived