melikamaui

Successful "girl's Weekend" Away

Rate this topic

I was scared to death to go to our family's "Girl's Weekend" with my aunts, female cousins, etc. I knew it would be the first time I would be around a ton of gluten with ZERO protections. I was right too. Pizza, bread, danish, cookies, oh my god it was a wheat-fest! I almost didn't go. But I'm so glad I did.

I packed an entire little suitcase of food. Beans, lentils, sweet potatoes, avocados, brown rice, salsa, corn chex, some cookies, and popcorn for snacks. I also packed my own silverware and my own bowls, etc. When I got there I hit Whole Foods and picked up some veggies, lettuce, rice milk and tortillas. I explained to all of my relatives that the food in the fridge that was mine would be clearly marked and that no one should touch it. There were a few issues of cc, but I saw them right away and was able to avoid eating what had been contaminated. My relatives were overwhelmingly understanding and helpful! I ended up having a great time! The only issue I had was that I wish I had packed more. I was really hungry by the time the weekend was over and I was practically out of food. There was no way I could eat at the airport so I lived on popcorn on my last travel day. Other than that, it was perfect! :D

Well done, you!!! :) Next time, take a bigger suitcase :P

I'm soooo glad it went well!

By the way, there's usually no need to go hungry in airports if you don't mind airport prices. I've found yogurt, salad, fruit salad, plain white rice at Chinese restaurants, and bags of dried fruit and nuts at newsstands. Most airports have a Starbuck's and they usually have a gluten-free snack bar like Kind bars and often whole apples or bananas. I also tolerate McDonald's french fries so I'll eat those in a pinch. :P