plumlady83

Help! Do I Have Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

I have had ongoing unusual symptoms since my late teens but more noticeably in the past five years ( I am 28 now). It isn't until today that after putting all of this together and finding some of the lesser known symptoms that i have contacted my PCP to discuss what I think it may be.

My symptoms are:

RLQ pain x 2months that is ongoing, sharp and gnawing (have been seen for this 1 mth ago and treated with antibiotics which did nothing)

nausea with more than one episode of vomitting

fever which was why I was given antibiotics

unusual and easily bruising on thighs and upper arms (also, take weeks to fade)

mucus in stools

unintentional weightloss with no new diet or exercise introduced (example 3 lbs in 1 week)

feeling blah and fatigued, trouble sleeping due to the RLQ pain

was diagnosed with post-partum depression and very irritable 3 months after giving birth when I was also experiencing ongoing abdominal pain at the time

upper right abdominal pain during pregnancy which I was tested for gallbladder disease and stones (came back negative.)

rashes "mysteriously" appearing on chest and torso (itchy and dry)

Based on these symptoms and using Mayoclnic symptom checker since my pCp diagnosed me with other things he thought were similar narrowed it down enough to make me believe that i am on the right track to actually feeling good again.

Will someone verify that I am not going crazy and that Celiac disease is the probable cause/

I have had ongoing unusual symptoms since my late teens but more noticeably in the past five years ( I am 28 now). It isn't until today that after putting all of this together and finding some of the lesser known symptoms that i have contacted my PCP to discuss what I think it may be.

My symptoms are:

RLQ pain x 2months that is ongoing, sharp and gnawing (have been seen for this 1 mth ago and treated with antibiotics which did nothing)

nausea with more than one episode of vomitting

fever which was why I was given antibiotics

unusual and easily bruising on thighs and upper arms (also, take weeks to fade)

mucus in stools

unintentional weightloss with no new diet or exercise introduced (example 3 lbs in 1 week)

feeling blah and fatigued, trouble sleeping due to the RLQ pain

was diagnosed with post-partum depression and very irritable 3 months after giving birth when I was also experiencing ongoing abdominal pain at the time

upper right abdominal pain during pregnancy which I was tested for gallbladder disease and stones (came back negative.)

rashes "mysteriously" appearing on chest and torso (itchy and dry)

Based on these symptoms and using Mayoclnic symptom checker since my pCp diagnosed me with other things he thought were similar narrowed it down enough to make me believe that i am on the right track to actually feeling good again.

Will someone verify that I am not going crazy and that Celiac disease is the probable cause/

What shape is your rash? The reason I ask is your symptoms sound a great deal like lupus as well, and you're at about the right age for onset. It's not unusual for it to be triggered by a birth either. If it's in the shape of a butterfly, I'd say you need a diagnostician to discern between lupus and celiac.

Also, the only way to know for sure is to get tested, or even to simply try a gluten free diet.

what's RLQ?

@saintmaybe--a butterfly shaped rash across the face is an indicator of lupus not chest & torso

Right Lower Quadrant ( i shortened it)

also, the rash was not in any particular shape and the part on my torso was in pairs ( 2 raised itchy bumps next to each other) going down the left side. Thanks for the help. I am defintely get tested for both now.

Yes celiac could be a culprit. You need to keep eating gluten if you are going to get tested. First request the blood tests: total IgA, IgA/IgG tTG(tissue transglutaminase), IgA/IgG DGP(deamidated gliadin peptide), EMA. Depending on those results you can always have an upper scope(EGD) with duodenal biopsies(min. 8 and if different areas). Have you been evaluated for appendicitis since you are having RLQ pain? Also since pregnancy can mess with your thyroid it probably wouldn't hurt getting that checked with: TSH, free T3, free T4, and thryroid antibody tests.