Celtic Queen

Gi Doctor In Memphis

Rate this topic

I'm looking for a good GI doctor in Memphis who has some experience with Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance. Anyone have a recommendation?

I blood tested positive for Celiac in August through my general practitioner's office. She recommended me to a GI (Dr. Wooten at Gastro One) and he recommended that I have a colonoscopy, endoscopy and biopsies done. I had been gluten free 6 weeks at that point and mentioned that in the visit. He didn't mention tell me that could affect my results. I found out on my own reading stuff on-line. Wish I'd known that before paying $1,100 out of pocket to have all these tests done.

Anyway, my tests all came back negative for Celiac. When the nurse called to tell me that, I asked if the doctor wanted to do a follow up visit. She asked me, "Are you still having problems?" My sarcastic self wanted to answer, "No, I'm perfectly fine now. The colonoscopy magically fixed things." :angry: But I held my tounge and politely told her that I'm still having problems. I even mentioned to her that the results might be affected because I had been eating gluten free before the test. She checked with the doctor and he said he didn't want to do a follow-up, even though I'm still having issues. Grrrrr.....

After I told this story to my GP, who was not very happy about the GI doctor not following up with me, she wants to refer me to a new gastro. This time I want to be sure I go to someone who has some experience in these things and will treat me seriously even thought my biopsies were negative. So if any of you can recommend a good doctor in the Memphis area, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much for your help.

i also live in memphis and i saw dr. richard aycock at the memphis gastro group. while i didnt end up having the endo i really liked him and if i do end up getting one i will go back to him. he seemed very knowledgable.

I'm looking for a good GI doctor in Memphis who has some experience with Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance. Anyone have a recommendation?

I blood tested positive for Celiac in August through my general practitioner's office. She recommended me to a GI (Dr. Wooten at Gastro One) and he recommended that I have a colonoscopy, endoscopy and biopsies done. I had been gluten free 6 weeks at that point and mentioned that in the visit. He didn't mention tell me that could affect my results. I found out on my own reading stuff on-line. Wish I'd known that before paying $1,100 out of pocket to have all these tests done.

Anyway, my tests all came back negative for Celiac. When the nurse called to tell me that, I asked if the doctor wanted to do a follow up visit. She asked me, "Are you still having problems?" My sarcastic self wanted to answer, "No, I'm perfectly fine now. The colonoscopy magically fixed things." :angry: But I held my tounge and politely told her that I'm still having problems. I even mentioned to her that the results might be affected because I had been eating gluten free before the test. She checked with the doctor and he said he didn't want to do a follow-up, even though I'm still having issues. Grrrrr.....

After I told this story to my GP, who was not very happy about the GI doctor not following up with me, she wants to refer me to a new gastro. This time I want to be sure I go to someone who has some experience in these things and will treat me seriously even thought my biopsies were negative. So if any of you can recommend a good doctor in the Memphis area, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much for your help.

I used to live in Memphis (now in Chicago), and Dr. Wooten was my GI doc! I saw him about 10 years ago for chronic gastritis. He did my first endoscopy and colonoscopy! When all he found was some minor inflamation in my stomach, he gave me a script for Prolosec and Prozac and sent me on my way. :angry:

I never did find a good GI doc there (or up here, not yet anyways). Sorry I can't help, but I just wanted to chime in on Dr. Wooten...small world, isn't it?

Interesting website, Lisa. Even though I don't live in TN, I pulled up my GI and he is listed. Thanks for posting!