hazesdaze

In Pain And Feeling Depressed

Rate this topic

I have been in pain for years. 3 years ago I went into the hospital with pain, they found gallstones and removed my gallbladder. After that I started having trouble with my stomach and the doctors said it was IBS and also acid reflux and I was given antacids.. Recently after nothing is helping, I saw a new doctor. He did alot of blood work and also some stool samples and he beleives I may have celiacs. I went off of gluten after he told me this (and after tests) and then to test myself, I ate a hamburger with the bun. I had diarrhea so bad after that which is confirming this for me. I also stayed sick and still feel sick 4 days later. What is going on? How long does gluten remain in your body and is there a faster way to get it out other than force vomiting? I am so scared, I cry about this because it seems that even the smallest amount of gluten is going to hurt. everything seems to have gluten. :( Help this newbie, please.

Hey there.

First, it can take while to "detox" from gluten. For some, a week. Others, longer.

The best way to get rid of gluten is no not eat it - so no more testing.

You'll probably feel better, faster if you eat whole foods - fruits, veggies, meats. Stay away from the processed foods (even gluten-free ones) for a month or so.

Digestive enzymes and probiotics may help your stomach get back on track. Make sure they are gluten-free - I use pb8 probiotics and Enzymedica digestive enzymes.

Check your cosmetics, shampoo, etc. Many of them contain gluten.

Clean your kitchen thoroughly - most replace colanders, cutting boards, scratched plastics, scratched nonstick pans, wooden spoons since all can harbor gluten. Reseason cast iron cookware, clean BBQ grates with oven cleaner or repace them. Soap and water is sufficient to remove gluten from most nonporous surfaces.

Start reading threads, ask lots of questions.

And drink lots of water and get some nutritious gluten-free food in you - that will help. Go for a short walk if you can.

"everything seems to have gluten"

Hang in there...it seemed like that for me too at first. You'll start discovering more and more things without gluten as you get used to the diet. There are a lot of tasty and healthy foods that naturally don't have gluten (like canned tuna, popcorn, hummus...) you just have to get used to a new way of thinking and it takes some time.

This page has some good ideas for things to eat:

http://glutenfreemom.com/GettingStartedGlutenFree.html

My reaction to gluten lasts 3 weeks. It gets easier within the 3 week time but I will go to any length to avoid it. It sound slike you have an answer and if it is the glutens that are causing the problem, you will get better the longer you stay away from them.

Thank you everyone. I am just feeling frustrated with being sick, I feel like I am missing out on so much. I have been reading the topics here and know that I have a lot to learn. I also read that the body needs to detox and you can get worse before getting better. I think I'm driving my family crazy with how careful I am trying to be. lol

They don't grasp the seriousness of cross contamination and think I am taking it overboard. Sometime I wonder if I am going to far but then I read these threads and realize I am not.

"They don't grasp the seriousness of cross contamination and think I am taking it overboard. Sometime I wonder if I am going to far but then I read these threads and realize I am not."

Just remember, you are the one that knows your own body, be confident in eating what feels right to you.