pinkcloud

Had Egd Today, All Is Well? A Little Discouraged

Rate this topic

So I had my EGD today and doc said he saw no evidence of celiac and is not expecting the biopsies to come back abnormal. He found grade one esophagitis, patchy erythema of the mucosa and gastritis in stomach and normal mucosa in duodenum. There is nothing on the report about the intestines at all. He wants to do a colonoscopy but I can't imagine what that would show.

I guess I'm a little disappointed. I really hoped to find answers to this misery. Gluten would've been a much easier answer than IBS, which I can't seem to control!

So I had my EGD today and doc said he saw no evidence of celiac and is not expecting the biopsies to come back abnormal. He found grade one esophagitis, patchy erythema of the mucosa and gastritis in stomach and normal mucosa in duodenum. There is nothing on the report about the intestines at all. He wants to do a colonoscopy but I can't imagine what that would show.

I guess I'm a little disappointed. I really hoped to find answers to this misery. Gluten would've been a much easier answer than IBS, which I can't seem to control!

Many, many people on here have reported that their doctors said the exact same thing, but when the biopsies came back, they were positive for celiac. Think about it this way, if the doctors could always SEE the damage, why would biopsies EVER be taken? When I had my EGD last month, the doctor didn't even TAKE any biopsies because he said he couldn't see damage. I found this out a full two weeks after (and had gone gluten free immediately after), so I couldn't even do bloodwork after that much time. At least your doctor did the biopsies anyway. Don't be disappointed yet until the actual results come back!

You can now go gluten free to see if it helps as long as you have had celiac blood work done. If you haven't had the celiac panel call and request one and then go gluten free to see if it helps. False negatives on both blood and biopsy are not uncommon at all but your body knows the answer.

Goodness it is hard to have hopes for an answer only to seemingly chase your tail once again but this doesn't mean you can't go gluten-free and that could be what you need to get your health back. I spent 7 months having numerous tests done without any resolve. Once I went gluten-free, I had my answer no matter whether it was celiac or not. Do what is best for you.

Thanks all very much! No blood tests yet and colonoscopy is Thursday so diet will wait until then. Thanks for making me feel better!

It's a GOOD thing to have a normal biopsy and no damage! Gluten intolerance can be milder than celiac and you don't have the autoimmunity.