This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sometimes I Wonder About My Husband And gluten-free Food

Britgirl

Britgirl Rookie

I love my husband, I really do. But he is still a bit of a dummy when it comes to my disease and diet. He's been around Celiacs for almost a decade, he knows the ins and outs of it.

We are going to his high school reunion next month and there is a buffet for the partygoers. Usual fare, rolls, salad, breaded fish, breaded chicken, pastries etc. He sent me the email today with the title FYI. I wrote back, well that won't work. He writes back, I kid you not "Can't you just scrape the bread off the fish?" :blink:

Um, no you dummy or I will die. I swear to goodness :lol:

And the caterer is making a special gluten-free meal for me so it's all good. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

domesticactivist Collaborator

You sure that wasn't a joke?

Britgirl Rookie

He doesn't get the concept of cross contamination yet. He knows that I can't eat it but that is all he knows pretty much. We had a talk about it after our exchange ;)

heidi g. Contributor

you will die? o.O

psawyer Proficient

you will die? o.O

Figuratively. While gluten will not kill a celiac they same way cyanide will kill someone, the long-term effects of eating gluten definitely reduce the life expectancy by up to ten years.

And you may feel like you are dying due to the unpleasant effects of gluten in the short term.

Britgirl Rookie

Figuratively. While gluten will not kill a celiac they same way cyanide will kill someone, the long-term effects of eating gluten definitely reduce the life expectancy by up to ten years.

And you may feel like you are dying due to the unpleasant effects of gluten in the short term.

Yes, this exactly. I won't die straight away, but eating gluten is like slowly poisoning oneself. Very unpleasant indeed.

kwylee Apprentice

And the caterer is making a special gluten-free meal for me so it's all good. B)

Hey! Maybe the caterer's cute! :lol: (Just kidding!!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I love my husband, I really do. But he is still a bit of a dummy when it comes to my disease and diet. He's been around Celiacs for almost a decade, he knows the ins and outs of it.

We are going to his high school reunion next month and there is a buffet for the partygoers. Usual fare, rolls, salad, breaded fish, breaded chicken, pastries etc. He sent me the email today with the title FYI. I wrote back, well that won't work. He writes back, I kid you not "Can't you just scrape the bread off the fish?" :blink:

Um, no you dummy or I will die. I swear to goodness :lol:

I thought about you last night. All of The Guys (FIL, BIL, Hubs, Kid) had gluteny pasta and I was The Gluten Police at my house last night. Hubs finally lost it when I got irate when he put the freshly scrubbed pots on a section of a cabinet I hadn't scrubbed 3x with soap and water.

Ironically, they all would have been ok eating my corn/quinoa pasta. Rolling my eyes.....

Britgirl Rookie

I thought about you last night. All of The Guys (FIL, BIL, Hubs, Kid) had gluteny pasta and I was The Gluten Police at my house last night. Hubs finally lost it when I got irate when he put the freshly scrubbed pots on a section of a cabinet I hadn't scrubbed 3x with soap and water.

Ironically, they all would have been ok eating my corn/quinoa pasta. Rolling my eyes.....

I don't know what it is about the cross contamination part of Celiac that evades people. I am rolling my eyes with you lol

Roda Rising Star

I don't know what it is about the cross contamination part of Celiac that evades people. I am rolling my eyes with you lol

Me either. To me it's not any different than making sure you cut up your fruits and veggies first on a cutting board before cutting meat. And not contaminating surfaces with raw meat and disinfecting afterward. That seems so obvious to most people. When I relate it to gluten I get a blank stare(not from hubby, he is great and understands) from people especially ones in our families. My MIL was visiting for several days last week. I did get glutened the evening after she came. I don't know if it was the stew she made and brought over(She has made it before and I've been fine, yes all gluten free ingredients, but doesn't rule out CC) or from the cheese rolls I made. I ran out of my regular tapioca flour and used a different brand I had never used before. So after that I watched her like a hawk just in case. She said she was washing her hands, but upon close inspection I noticed she was just "rinsing" them under the water and NO soap! :blink: She just didn't get it. That's almost as good as my dad getting mad at me and accusing my mom and I treating him like a child while he was visiting a couple of weeks before. He said he was capable of not CCing my jelly, but then ate a hamburger on a wheat bun and didn't wash his hands after(as he touches things all over my house). Let's just say my house is the cleanest it's been in awhile since all of this. :P

Archived