Nen

One Sided Headache/pressure?

Rate this topic

I am normally not a headache person, but lately I've kind of become one.

For the past 6 months on and off I will get a dull headache/and or head pressure mainly focused on the right side of my head (behind the eye, around to the back right side of my head down my neck even into my shoulder), and it drives me nuts. Sometimes even my lymph node gets inflamed on that side, and I get ear pain too on the one side with it. Thankfully its not *bad* pain, more just there when it happens and it is annoying.

This is on top of my pretty much constant sinus issues (pressure and clear drainage) that I've had long before this head crap started. Pain killers pretty much don't help which is odd to me. I wonder if it isn't a nerve or neurological type thing.

Does anyone with Celiac get this sort of stuff? I've been experimenting and trying allergy meds and sinus drainage meds and keeping notes, also have been to the docs twice where of course they don't really do anything to help but push more meds. I do have good days where it isn't there, but it comes and goes. Next step is going to be an elimination diet as its the one thing I haven't yet tried that I could do to experiment.

I get the same headaches, and have been considering gall bladder dysfunction might be the cause. Not too uncommon for people with gluten intolerance from what I understand. Several close relatives have had gall bladders removed. Google "gallbladder headache" and see if yor symptoms match too!

I have had headaches like you describe for years, going back as far as teenager(the pain though was not into my neck and shoulder, that has developed in the last several years). Last year they were becoming worse and more frequent, so at my hubsband's insistance, I brought it up to my doctor. To her she said they sounded like a mixture between a migraine and tension headache. If I start having the slightest pressure behind my eye I usually can take 3 200 mg ibuprofen and can catch it before it gets bad. If I let it go and it gets any worse, then they last for about 3-4 days and nothing helps. I try not to take much ibuprofen or NSAIDS anymore since I had an ulcer about 1 1/2 years ago. It is healed, but I try to be careful. I also noticed when I get that knotted feeling at the base of my neck and into my muscle behind my shoulder, if I apply a heat patch, or bengay patch, it helps loosen up the tense muscles and it helps the headache. I did and do this as my first approach now and it does help with the headache. I will still take ibuprofen when necessary. My biggest trigger I have noticed recently is the position of my head at night when I sleep. If I sleep with my head on anything but the flat matress, it will trigger one.

My doctor gave me a prescription for verapimil to see if it would help my raynaud's symptoms. She also said it might help the headaches too. I haven't used it hardly at all, but if my raynaud's symptoms get bad this year I may try it.

You might want to see an osteopath and look into possible nerve, muscular, or bone alignment issues.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't realize you could get headaches with gall bladder issues, I'll have to look into that.

Also thanks for the suggestion about the pillow, I will have to try sleeping without a pillow and see what that does. I do have Raynauds as well.

I figure if this doesn't get any better maybe try a chiropractor, sometimes they seem more "on the ball" than a regular doctor would.