Catazonon

Exclusion Diet Symptoms

Rate this topic

A recent blood work showed that my ferritin (iron stores) were at 6 ng/ml (abysmally low). As my diet is extremely healthy otherwise and packed with iron rich foods, my primary physician suggested a celiac panel to begin the search for a potential iron absorption issue (note: my B12 levels are within reference ranges, but on the lower side additionally). The panel returned within reference range, but on the higher side. An exclusion diet was suggested as my physician stated that many gluten intolerant individuals are self diagnosed through such a means. Additionally, it would make a good and thorough followup to confirm if the panel was truly negative.

For a week and a half I was on a strict gluten exclusion diet when I accidentally drank a large flavored coffee. Unbeknownst to me, some of the main cafe chains use barley's, etc, as flavor additives and such within certain coffees. It took about an hour of sipping through the coffee, but once done I felt rather strange shortly thereafter. My throat became very sore and swollen. I thought that I was coming down with a sudden cold and went home. Within an hour my tongue was tender and I had little bumps in my mouth, a swollen belly, and nausea. The next morning I was a bit off still, but by the early afternoon I was completely fine.

A few days later, I slipped again and had something with gluten (but luckily just a small amount before noticing). Within a few minutes I felt suddenly tired, foggy, and slightly queazy.

Oh, one more thing, I'm a small individual (120lbs) and in great shape, but my belly got a bit of a pudge on it over the past two years (strange, I thought, considering the exercise I partake in). Already, since the exclusion diet and not changing any other habits, the belly is flat and smooth once again - which suggests it was bloat, to me.

As I find this all rather interesting, I proffer the question: Has anyone else gone on an exclusion diet, having never really experienced too many noticeable issues with gluten, only to have stronger reactions shortly thereafter when eating gluten?

Yes. Although I've yet to clearly ingest gluten again to really "know" that was it.

I'm sure it will happen, though....

For even those with very noticeable symptoms from gluten, the reaction to it is often stronger after having been gluten free than it was previously. It is a common reaction.

Welcome to our community and let us know if there are other ways we can lhelp you. :)

As I find this all rather interesting, I proffer the question: Has anyone else gone on an exclusion diet, having never really experienced too many noticeable issues with gluten, only to have stronger reactions shortly thereafter when eating gluten?

It's common. We think it has to do with your immune system getting back to functioning normally after the constant assault from gluten. You react quickly and strongly to gluten instead of having the reaction suppressed. It's just a guess from some folks on the board because we see it happen so often.