beebs

Those With Gluten Intolerance, Especially Severe..

Rate this topic

Hi guys,

Can those who have gluten intolerance please tell me your symptoms -I am trying to work out the difference as I am undiagnosed and am probably going to remain that way (not by choice).

So I am trying to work out which is more likely.

Thank you!!

Although I am officially diagnosed celiac some doctors would consider me gluten intolerant because I don't show up in blood tests and don't have one of the two most common associated genes (in the US anyway they are considered celiac genes in other countries).

My symptoms were very severe and well advanced by diagnosis and are in my sig. Personally I consider GI, GS and celiac all the same thing.

Although I believe that if you have gluten intolerance as opposed to Celiac you are at no higher risk of other autoimmune diseases, is that true?

Although I believe that if you have gluten intolerance as opposed to Celiac you are at no higher risk of other autoimmune diseases, is that true?

I don't think enough is really known about GI or Celiac to say for sure one way or another.

Ok, thanks :)

Apparently there is an interesting study on GI that has come out of Melbourne, Aust - our Paed GI recommended I read it, but I have forgotten his name. I'll link it if I can find it!

My oldest son is not celiac (negative blood work 4 times and negative biopsy). He had major constipation issues since birth and dropped on the growth curve by the time he was 12 months old significantly. At one point he was on miralax for appx. 1.5 years. We just thought he was going to be small. He stayed pretty consistant at the 25th percentile but then he started to drop again at age three. He is 10 (will be 11 in Feb.) and is one of the smallest boys in his class. After my youngest son was diagnosed with celiac and went gluten free last Nov. (he really has been growing like a weed since), my oldest son's slow growth became really apparent. My 6 almost 7 years old is really gaining on his brother. The most recent complaints for him were almost daily stomach pains, gas and bloating. He still didn't have a BM only about every 3-4 days. I put him gluten free the end of August and things I have seen improvement in are: he has gained 5 pounds, his feet grew(they hadn't grown in over a year), he is starting to grow in height as some of his jeans are starting to get short, no more daily stomach pains/bloating/gas, his color has improved, and he is regular for the first time in his life going at least every to every other day.