lucky97

Cider From The Tap...

Rate this topic

Hi,

I have wondered this for a long time now.

My celiac numbers are going down, but slower than I would hope...as I've asked about in other topics, but I do like my Strongbow cider from the bar. From the tap, the only way they serve it there.

Is there a chance I'm getting cross-contaminated by the bar glasses? Sure they wash them but beer and everything else could've been in them...and from time to time I do get the "D" after being there although I stick to gluten free items they offer.

Anybody else had experiences like that? Hmmm...

I don't know if gluten would stick on glass after it goes through those high powered dishwashers, but... I know sometimes they will handwash a glass at a bar if they're busy and need a glass fast.

Do they switch that tap out with beer sometimes? Is it possible the tap is getting contaminated or the lines?

• Upvote 1

Most bars that are not in a restaurant hand wash the glasses. Many that I have worked at used the 3 well system, a wash tub with soap, a rinse well with water, then a well with a sani-tab that is not then rinsed off. I always ask them to re-rinse the glass in those cases. So long story short, I think CC might be an issue.

• Upvote 1

getting drunk will cause D...

But....but...my cider is gluten free! :ph34r:

Could they serve it in a different glass. I went to a nice bar ($$$) with cider on tap. It comes in a glass that looks like a brandy sniffer or fruity drink glass. Maybe they could put yours in a soda glass, carry- out cup (:() or margarita glass? Tell them extreme allergy to beer.

That would be a depressing thought - having to give up good cider on tap. I agree with kareng, see if they'll serve it in a (gasp) carry out cup. Either that or go for the bottled, if they have it.

And once you figure it out, drink one for me :D I miss my good cider. The only thing you can find in my city is Woodchuck. If I'm lucky, I'll occasionally run across Hornsby's.

I've always wondered about beer glasses and that quick rinse. Bottled Magner's cider is quite good and a lot of pubs that serve Strongbow also carry Magner's.

Here in Dublin the cider on tap is Bulmers. I LOVE it but had to give up alcohol because of acid reflux. :(

it did come in cans, tho, iirc. and there was a speciality pear cider that came in a bottle. maybe you can see if there are bottled ones? or yeah, just a different kind of glass.

Same issue for me.

I stick to bottles and only drink from the bottle, magners, etc. No bottles = no drinking for me. It's fine if you're at home because it's likely unless you live in a really small place that you'll find a pub with at least one bottled cider option.

I've risked cider in a glass and got away with it but I would only do this if absolutely pushed because it could be so easy to contaminate the glass, so easy.

I guess you'd have this problem all the time if you only drank wine so I'm thankful that bottled cider is pretty standard.