notkuroda

Gluten Detective

Rate this topic

Hi there.

My wife has been gluten free for over 2 years now. Over the past week she has been getting contaminated by something, and we can't figure out what. She has DH, she's been having digestive problems, and is particularly tired and run down. We can't figure out what's getting her. She's stopped wearing makeup. She did start a progesterone cream over a week ago, and it's made by GNC and not "guaranteed" to be gluten free, even though it's manufactured to be so. She's stopped taking it just in case, but we kind of figure that's not it since she washed her hands after every application and she can't absorb it through the skin. My home is completely gluten free. We're at our wits end. Please help! If this keeps up I have some serious fears for her health.

Thank you!

are you doing any construction/remodeling? how about seasonal decorations? cookbooks from pre-gluten-free? grandma's cookie recipe?

are you doing any construction/remodeling? how about seasonal decorations? cookbooks from pre-gluten-free? grandma's cookie recipe?

we did put up the xmas decorations a week ago, but she hasn't eaten anything from pre gluten-free

Does the cream contain a soy base? Any new pet foods?... sometimes we react to other things.. You didn't sayif the DH was acting up..

If she could absorb the progesterone through the skin, why not any possible gluten ingredients? Especially if she has DH, then I'd suspect that might be the issue. I know 'they' say that the gluten molecule or whatever it is, is too large to pass through the skin to cause problems, but we know 'they' aren't always right. It may be there are exceptions that haven't been accounted for in their calculations?

Otherwise, are there any new supplements, she's been taking? It might just be a new bottle of something she's taken before, but perhaps the new bottle has a new formula that used to be safe and now it's not? Or the same principle with food items?

My first suspicion was the cream too. She's stopped using it for a few days now, no real improvement. I do understand that the lingering effects can take a few days so she's totally off it(although she wishes she could find one that is certified gluten free). The DH has definitely flared up, usually she just gets a few bumps behind her ear or on her back, this time it's a major rash on her chest(which we haven't seen since pre-diagnosis)

I can't tell if it has a soy base but it doesn't say so in the ingredients. Pet food's been the same

This may be a mystery ...anything even the slightest change that something came in to your home. Like a sample of soap , a new aftershave,candy, processed deli meats just look & think what recently maybe got it... recheck labels..

I suggest staying away from the cream since was purchased at a GNC I'm guessinig this wasn't prescribed by a doctor... It could be that she doesn't need it.. things like that can throw the body into havoc...

Also has there been any major issues in her life, death, accident of a loved one,& so on...

It could also be an allergy to a common food.. For instance I can eat a food but when I combine it with another food I react...But if I eat it alone no problems...

Sorry, can't think of anything else at present...

hope you feeel better soon..

If she could absorb the progesterone through the skin, why not any possible gluten ingredients? Especially if she has DH, then I'd suspect that might be the issue. I know 'they' say that the gluten molecule or whatever it is, is too large to pass through the skin to cause problems, but we know 'they' aren't always right. It may be there are exceptions that haven't been accounted for in their calculations?

Otherwise, are there any new supplements, she's been taking? It might just be a new bottle of something she's taken before, but perhaps the new bottle has a new formula that used to be safe and now it's not? Or the same principle with food items?

It is correct that you cannot absorb gluten through the skin...doctors have that correct BUT a progesterone cream is formulated to BE absorbed through the skin. It might be something in the cream that is aggravating

her...especially since people with DH have additional skin sensitivities.

Is she eating a lot of iodine? Google "thyca" for a list of high iodone foods. Iodine can make DH flare.

Some people feel sick when DH breaks out, others not. It could be just the DH or some gluten sneaking in, or she could have developed a new food intolerance.

Double-check everything - just because a food has been safe doesn't mean it continues. Food companies do change formulations/processes.

I use Emerita progesterone cream and don't think I have a problem with it...But everyone is different.

Also, many people take a week or so to get over a glutening...

I hope she feels better soon.

thank you for all the feedback. She's pretty much eliminating everything and going to raw food then slowly adding things back in. we have been told that Celiac patients can develop sensitivities to many different things. Maybe this way we can figure out if that's the case. Such a frustrating disease, you change your whole life to take one thing out of your life, and then can fine that the same disease makes you more vunerable to other types of contamination.

Yes I think this was the problem for me notkuroda, a lot of sensitivies to other foods, namely corn, soy, dairy, nightshades. As you can imagine this limits my food options considerably.

The good thing is that once I eliminated them all, I felt better within 1-3 days as opposed to 2 weeks with gluten.

Best of luck.