looking for info

Hair Loss Since I've Gone Gluten Free

Rate this topic

I've been Gluten Free since Mid August and I find myself reacting worst then ever to what seems like everything. One of my issues that concerns me most is how much hair I've been losing. I'm not understanding why my hair is falling out since I've been been gluten free. I have switched to a gluten free shampoo recently. I hope this will stop soon but I was wondering if anyone else has been dealing with anything similar. Can someone please explain if this is a normal reaction to going gluten free or if anyone knows how long it will keep going for. Could there be something else wrong? :unsure:

Have you had your VITAMIN & Mineral levels checked???

Have you had your VITAMIN & Mineral levels checked???

The last time I had my levels checked was back in August when I was 1st diagnosed. I was told that my calcium and vitamin D levels were low..so they put me on a multi vit. and a D supplement. Dr asked me to keep on them and that they would retest in 6 months..the hair loss didn't kick in right away but for the last 2 months now its gotten out of control.

What about thyroid? Has yours been checked out? Also, how is your stress level? Mine shot thru the roof dealing with the diagnosis & basically changing my life and all...

Best of luck to you - hang in there :)

What about thyroid? Has yours been checked out? Also, how is your stress level? Mine shot thru the roof dealing with the diagnosis & basically changing my life and all...

Best of luck to you - hang in there :)

thankfully all my levels including thyroid levels are all normal...stress level goes up and down depending on the day I guess....normally not too high...hopefully its just a passing thing that will get better with time....although i am a bit worried being how much hair i have already lost...thank you for the well wishes.

My hair continued to fall out until I switched to a gluten free shampoo and conditioner but even that took over a month for me to notice a difference in the amount falling out.

You may not be absorbing the vitamins.... If I calculate correctly you'll get tested again in Feb.?

You may not be absorbing the vitamins.... If I calculate correctly you'll get tested again in Feb.?

Yeah i won't be tested again until Feb. :( ....I've been on a pretty strict with the gluten-free diet but I had a reaction on Thanksgiving.

My hair continued to fall out until I switched to a gluten free shampoo and conditioner but even that took over a month for me to notice a difference in the amount falling out.

I did just learn about 2 weeks back the shampoo I was using was not gluten-free...I wish they would make it easier to know which shampoo's are in fact gluten-free verses having to try and de code all the ingredients. Sorry to hear it took over a month for you hopefully it will only take that long for me I just hope it will start to show a difference for me soon... but it does give me hope that the shampoo might be the only thing wrong..

I've been Gluten Free since Mid August and I find myself reacting worst then ever to what seems like everything. One of my issues that concerns me most is how much hair I've been losing. I'm not understanding why my hair is falling out since I've been been gluten free. I have switched to a gluten free shampoo recently. I hope this will stop soon but I was wondering if anyone else has been dealing with anything similar. Can someone please explain if this is a normal reaction to going gluten free or if anyone knows how long it will keep going for. Could there be something else wrong? :unsure:

I had the same problem, thyroid was fine also. I started taking an extra zinc tab a day along with my multi and BioSil drops and my hair stopped falling out. I know someone who took Evening Primrose oil tabs and it helped her.

I do BioSil drops, Evening Primrose Oil (1,000 mg/day) and Biotin (5,000 mg/day) and it seems to be helping. But it takes time. I've also been gluten-free since August and the times I've been glutened, I have a bad reaction with my hair falling out. But once I'm gluten-free for a couple of weeks, it gets better.

Also, did you have your iron checked? Anemia can be an issue too.

My hair falls out from my thyroid problems. Hope it stops after I start the meds.

I do BioSil drops, Evening Primrose Oil (1,000 mg/day) and Biotin (5,000 mg/day) and it seems to be helping. But it takes time. I've also been gluten-free since August and the times I've been glutened, I have a bad reaction with my hair falling out. But once I'm gluten-free for a couple of weeks, it gets better.

Also, did you have your iron checked? Anemia can be an issue too.

Thank you for the info with the BioSil drops...I'm going to have to check them out. I'm sorry to hear you had the same reaction but thank you for letting me know. It's always nice to know I'm not alone. Sometimes since no one around me can understand what I'm going thru I never know if its a normal response or if it could be something more serious. I also have been trying very hard to stay gluten free but I sometimes find myself being blindly glutened.

I should know soon if its caused by my levels being off even though I should have my blood work checked in 2 months. My dietitian has decided to double check my levels...hopefully everything will turn out

I had the same problem, thyroid was fine also. I started taking an extra zinc tab a day along with my multi and BioSil drops and my hair stopped falling out. I know someone who took Evening Primrose oil tabs and it helped her.

Thank you for the information...I'll be looking into both of these products...hopefully something will work soon