TTNOGluten

What Do You Do For The Pain?

Rate this topic

I have recently seen a number of posts about many pain related issues with celiac. Seems like many folks including myself experience rib cage pain, and back pain, as well as abdominal pain. I don't know if this ever improves, but I sure hope so, as it is debilitating at times. It is truly hard to imagine that an intestinal process can cause all of this, but it certainly seems to be a recurring theme for a lot of us?

Was wondering what most folks do to get relief of the pain, most of the docs I have seen seem to be very unfamiliar with the pain portion of this disease, be it abdominal pain or more widespread muscular/bone pain??

Looking for some advice I guess. I have a very hard time working with this pain every day, I have to take breaks and lay down, and get a lot of brain fog feeling especially in the morning, like I am out of my head, I guess like an out of body experience, or drunk feeling kind of??

I guess it would depend on which country you live in as to which off the shelf or over the counter pain relievers are available to you. For me though, an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen or naproxin (advil or aleve) works, along with a heating pad on my gut and on my back.

In Canada there's also Robax Platinum, which has the anti-flammatory plus a muscle relaxant and that helps if you can get it.

As for the brain fog, unfortunately there's not much to do about that, you just have to wait it out. The effects can last anywhere from a week to a month.

I used to take plain aspirin but stopped when I learned that aspirin could be partly responsible for weakening my gut ecosystem. Now my "painkiller" is an Epsom salts bath and sleep...

I am starting to use acupressure. There are a number of books online that look very helpful. I got a couple myself just recently. I am finding it is really helping both me and my boyfriend who also has severe gluten intolerance!! Exercise also helps, once I am over the worst of it. I also find that taking detox herbs really helps since usually the liver, kidneys and lymphatic system are stressed as well as the intestines--which then usually affects my back, neck and joints. Thus dandelion root, marshmallow root really help take away the inflammation and thus the pain. If I am really under it I might also take either Oregon grape root for a while or Barberry root (I usually just take these last two herbs for at most 5 days--then go off them for say 3 or 4 days). Nettle tea can help too. Parsley, celery and lettuce blended in the blender into smoothies also is a great pick me up that helps with the detoxing process.

I see you are still battling the brain fog, huh? Sorry hon.

You are SURE there's no gluten getting in???

You started the probiotics, right? They will start to calm the inflammation down.

Okay, the pain is from inflammation and be careful using too many OTC anti-inflammatories as they are gut-irritants.

You can try warm epsom baths as TeknoLen suggests.

White willow bark is a natural anti-inflammatory and less rough on the gut.

St. Joseph's baby aspirin.

Use warm compresses --or a heating pad or hot water bottle--or the gut and ribs ---but I use ICE on my spine/back pain. Knocks down the inflammation.

The rib cage and abdomen pain diminished for me by about month 5. The spine pain lingers, but I have other issues going on from the celiac.

Plus, you are getting over the gall bladder surgery.

Hope you get relief soon.

H. Pylori also pain on left side under rib cage

I use Altoids peppermints some. When I have gas in my stomach it makes the pain worse. So I take the Altoids to help get it out. I used to get very foggy when gassy with gi inflammation issues going on. It may help quite a bit to get the gas out. I used to do stretches and bends to get it out.

Pepto Bismol may help also as it can coat and soothe the gut. Be aware Pepto Bismol will turn your stool black due to the pink coloring in it. Black stool is a sign of internal bleeding usually, but pepto causes it also.

I am pretty sure I have an H.Pylori infection going on so I plan to get some mastic gum for that. See linked thread for more info.

I take aspirin also, and marshmallow root, and l.gutamine, DPP-4 and okra.

Ginger tea may help some. It tastes good anyway.

A little rum seems to help at night too. :D And some melatonin for sleep.