This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Pre Diagnosis Help Please!

FireballWhisky

FireballWhisky Newbie

Hello all,

While I understand that there is no way to know based on my story but I just want some opinions please...

My symptoms have been put together and evolved over a period of about 7 years....

since about 7 years ago I have a chronic sinusitis and CONSTANTLY have to clear my throat as well as get a runny nose after eating ALL THE TIME

about 4 years ago I was diagnosed with GERD by my doctor because of constant heart burn and difficulties with stomach acid (have been taking Nexium ever since)

the last 2 years...

sometimes I drink alcohol and the next day It is the end of the world...I wake up around 7 am no matter what time I went to bed ...and I feel as if I have to use the restroom very badly...when in the bathroom it would either be alot more "bark than bite" or pure water diarrhea, but would then be followed by vomiting and having to use the restroom over and over for about 4-6 hours to the point of pure dehydration and sometimes even inducing hallucinations...and then afterwards im just back to normal...my doctor attributed this to the GERD but it would happen sometimes after maybe a bit too much drinking or sometimes after just a drink or two (I am not an alcoholic and have not been drinking for 9 months to try to figure out WTF is wrong with me.)

I get a weird sore throat after I eat sometimes that can last for a day or two that seems to just be one side of my throat in the back or sometimes very sensitive to the touch on the outside of my throat when touching around my adams apple.

I get intense cravings for food late night

I have recently been waking up every single day of my life with gas and bloating

sometimes my stool has an oily or gel-like substance on it (im very sorry for the graphic nature but I need help!!)

I actually developed an infection in my throat that hospitalized me for 3 days that the Dr. said was attributed to nothing and was just random

endoscopy results were small hiatal hernia, gastritis...but negative on Hpylori, esophogitis or any thing else

Barium swallow showed once again the intense gastritis but thats all (the tech said that it could be from H Pylori but I had already been scoped and found negative on Hpylori)

I developed a few rashes and seems like I always have little tiny bumps randomly on arms or something...you cant really see them at all but they are there...one got so bad had to use steroid cream

after I eat chips, crackers, or cereal my stool seems acidic and loose

constant itchy and watery eyes

I appreciate anyone helping me out with their thoughts on these symptoms...

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FireballWhisky Newbie

thanks for nothing celiac.com users...180 reads and no responses...guess im a loser...

my test came back negative for celiac...

however i persoannlly tested this result by eating a PB&J on 9 GRAIN BREAD...30 minutes later i broke out in sweats, began to throw up over and over and actually started to lose consciencness...after I threw up the bread everything slowly subsided

I had NOTHING in my stomach before it was completely empty

DOES ANYONE HAVE THOSE SYMPTOMS AFTER EATING GRAIN????????????????????????????????????????

PLease HELP!!

Lisa Mentor

Sorry it's taken so long :rolleyes: There is always a lot going on around here. We often have over 500 people looking as c.com, but the real value is the twenty or so who will answer your questions.

We always welcome everyone to join us and participate in this great community.

And please, take sometime to read around the topics. You might find something of value that you can relate too.

I would would suggest that you go on a trial gluten free diet for at least a month. A dietary response can be diagnostic as well.

It's important to go 100%. And as careful as you are able. Stick with whole foods, i.e. meats, fish, fresh veggies, potatoes, rice and fruit. Keep away for processed gluten free foods.

Give it a go and see how you feel. :)

heidi g. Contributor

Your not a loser! I don't see many celiac symptoms personally, but if you do have gets, perhaps bread and pasta is too much to handle on an acidic tummy. I suffer with acid problems as well. Even when I eat the gluten free bread and pasta I get indigestion so bad I feel like puking by guts out! Horrible... I actually feel like that right now. I get extremely nauseous after D as well (which is what happened to me tonight) maybe you just have a weak stomach and don't tolerate nausea very well. I fight the urge to throw up with everything i can think of. Mucus jn the stool can mean alot of things. Moat likely your not digesting fatty acids very well. I get it too. Stay away from thick foods like peanut butter. Try eating steamed rice and steamed veggies. Eat foods that are easy to digest and won't distress your digestive system. Feel better and if you have any more questions feel free to message me

heidi g. Contributor

Also I forgot to mention this- i drank a half of bottle of mikes lite lemonade (gluten free alcoholic) and holy bananas i just am now starting to feel better. My stomach was so bloated and icky feeling and i had a sore throat every morning. I drank that like 2 weeks ago! I will never touch alcohol again i was only able to eat like once a day for 2 weeks. Ohhh my poor stomach. :( feel better! You can't choose what you get thrown at you in life but you can choose how to handle it. Think positive! Depression and anxiety make my symptoms sooooo much worse.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Sorry you didn't get any replies to your original post. You could be one of us. If you are not going to get an endoscopy then give the diet a good strict try for at least a couple of months. If you go with whole unprocessed foods it is easiest to heal and avoid CC. Do read as much as you can here and I hope you are feeling better soon.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Also I forgot to mention this- i drank a half of bottle of mikes lite lemonade (gluten free alcoholic) and holy bananas i just am now starting to feel better. My stomach was so bloated and icky feeling and i had a sore throat every morning. I drank that like 2 weeks ago! I will never touch alcohol again i was only able to eat like once a day for 2 weeks. Ohhh my poor stomach. :( feel better! You can't choose what you get thrown at you in life but you can choose how to handle it. Think positive! Depression and anxiety make my symptoms sooooo much worse.

While this hard lemonade is supposed to be 'gluten free by processing' many of us can't handle items that are 'gluten free by processing'. It is made with barley malt.

If you want an alcoholic beverage after you are feeling better go with something like wine, gluten-free beer like Redbridge, a clear rum or potato vodka.

From their website:

"We start with a malt base of fermented barley, not unprocessed barley, and hops that are processed using a highly specialized, multi-stage filtration process."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Sorry for the slow response. Sometimes i lose my computer :blink: and now the keyboard is jacked. Sorry for the crappy typos.

Do you have any more of your endoscopy results? pics? and was there an eosinphil count done? Was the hernia repaired?

Some times the testing process just sucks! Doctors are ill informed at best, and when something they don't believe in or understand is staring them in the face they don't diagnose it.

This is a good bunch of peeps here. We do tend to get some kind of strange moon cycle behaviour though. IMO ;)

heidi g. Contributor

Really? Then why would they post gluten free on it? That explains why it took so long for my stomach to feel a teeny bit better.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Really? Then why would they post gluten free on it? That explains why it took so long for my stomach to feel a teeny bit better.

Maybe because it tests at below a certain limit. They state on the website that the processing and filtration removes the gluten. There may be some who can tolerate it but I know I am not one of them.

researchmomma Contributor

I am sorry no one responded to your original post.

I am on here frequently but I usually let the experts reply to posts like yours.

My daughter's Celiac testing was negative. However, because of her symptoms and how closely related they were to Celiac, we decided to eliminate gluten and it has been amazing. She is probably Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerant but time will tell. I wanted answers that I couldn't get from my doctor so I used Enterolab.com

This testing isn't for everyone because the "gluten sensitivity" tests that they run are not peer reviewed (approved by the medical community at large). That's ok for me because I was really interested in the fecal fat and what her genes were.

Turns out she had high fecal fat and she is a DQ 5,5 which can be associated with neurological issues associated with gluten and gluten sensitivity in general.

My daughter got glutened and all her old symptoms came back so I don't care if they call her Celiac, Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerant or The Freakin' Queen of Sheba: She can't tolerate gluten.

I would give the diet a try. You have nothing to lose and your health to gain.

Archived