Nannu

Corn - The Under-Researched Grain

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone,

CORN - this topic has been on my mind since a few days, finally i am getting it here. There have been articles time and again about corn being the under researched grain for its gluten can also cause issues similar to wheat gluten. For me, my DD who is a celiac (diagnosed 1 yr back, TTG IGa levels still high, will be testing this month again) has shown following symptoms with various forms of corn:

* Diah when taken steamed frozen corn - stopped that completely

* Can have pop corn without issues - i give her pop corn once in a while as it is one of most loved snacks.

* Doesn't even show diah symptoms when ingesting gluten due to gluten cross contamination which we discovered only after 8 motnhs of diagnosis but perhaps that was good enough to keep her antibodies levels high.

My specific questions are below:

1. How has corn effected different people here on this forum?

2. Do you have specific evidences of having antibodies levels normal only after stopping corn, given all other cross contamination issues were resolved prior to stopping corn completely?

Why i am asking these questions - It took me a long time to resolve my daughter's cross contamination issues, i have her blood tests due in 2 weeks. Can i expect normals levels now after having put all the hard work or corn could be playing a role. I just want to be mentally prepared, her blood tests make me nervous and my stress already begins.

Thanks a ton in advance..

Nannu

I am mostly corn intolerant, which is good because of the GMO issue. I do tolerate highly refined corn as in corn starch in baked goods, but nothing that has a hint of the kernel covering in it. I am sorry, I have never had any testing done so can't help you there. My reaction to corn is very similar to gluten, although it doesn't last as long. Before I learned about gluten I thought it was corn that was my problem, then after stopping gluten I discovered they both were a problem.

I also have not had any testing done but have found that I have reactions to corn in any form. Ive just discovered I also react when it's in a highly processed form like fructose (sugar-like sweetener derived from corn. I can't tolerate regular sugar and prior to going gluten-free I used fructose for years without issues.). I've been feeling lousy and thought it was cc issues, but when I removed fructose from my baked goods I started feeling so much better. I didn't think such a highly processed form of corn would be an issue but for me it is.

Corn affects my psoriasis, both skin and joints. I can eat a little processed, but absolutely no whole corn.

No corn problems that I'm aware of.

richard

Thanks Everybody for sharing...I hope to get more replies.

Nannu

I am hyper-sensitive to corn.The new plastic water bottles and the new lining used in cans is made with corn, and I react to them. My psoriasis goes wild when exposed to corn and my insomnia too. I never had much in the way of digestive symptoms, until I had been on the diet for a while. But I don't know about from corn because I have been so strict about staying away from it.

I feel better off grains in general. My asthma isn't as bothersome. I was eating a fair amount of corn before I went grain-free so I wouldn't be surprised if it was part of the trouble.

Hi Skylark and Bartfull,

Thanks for the responses. I am sorry that the issues became so severe that you had to give up on grains. In India, we attach so much to grains and millets and lentils that all this looks so overwhelming. I guess time only decide for me if i need to quit corn for my daughter. Will discuss the same with our Doc when we meet her after the tests. Till then, thanks a lot for all the support and understanding.

Cheers

Nannu

Yes, all of our digestive issues can be overwhelming! I know mostly giving up grains sounds like a big deal, but I'm actually really pleased to find something so simple that helps my asthma.

I do find I tolerate a little white rice a couple times a week. I wouldn't worry about the lentils and legumes just yet. They are so botanically different from grains I can't see how they would keep her TTG up.

The diet of my youngest dictates what the rest of us eat for the most part and she has a big issue with whole corn. She can have cornstarch and a few corn chips (they have to be white corn though) and we tried Orville Redenbacher white popping corn yesterday and she did fine with a little bit of that.

Oh and the only other grain we can eat is white rice and my girls sometimes eat rice cakes made from brown rice.

I hope you figure everything out for your daugther.

I just posted this in another place, but I had to give up a vitamin C supplement and a multi with C because most vitamin C is corn based. Any supplement that states it has vegetable based magneseum stearate of stearic acid is probably also corn. I missed these for a long time, but my bloating, gas and D have stopped since giving these up.