This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No Boil Lasagna

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

I bought the wrong thing! Deboles no boil. I usually buy the Tinkyada which is not no boil and I've had no problems except for when I made the lasagna with no eggs (I'm allergic) and it didn't set up. So I had a mess. I recently made stuffed shells and used ground flax instead of eggs. Worked like a dream! So I used that trick with the lasagna. The only problem? I accidentally bought the no boil noodles. They were on clearance somewhere. I do remember that.

My only experience with no boil noodles was many years ago and it was a wheat pasta. I followed the directions on the box but the edges of the pasta got really crispy. I had to go buy a jar of sauce and in those days jarred sauce was a new thing. Not nearly as good as the homemade sauce I had already put in the lasagna.

I also messed up because I had put the pasta in the boiling water and then looked on the box to see how long to cook it for. That's when I realized the mistake. I immediately turned off the heat. But it did cook a little bit. Just enough for me to not be able to get it out of the water without a mess of pasta shreds. Since I am making it only for two, I was able to fish out enough pasta.

But I am worried! I used a glass bread loaf pan and I used a layer of sauteed vegetable in the middle in lieu of pasta to lower the carb count. I put too many veggies in there so when I got to the top layer of pasta, it was sticking up over the dish. And there wasn't enough sauce to fully cover it. I was my experience with the wheat pasta that you needed a ton of sauce over the top to get the pasta to cook.

Now these people elsewhere are claiming they always use the no boil pasta (although not gluten-free) and that they use no sauce at all! They are claiming that the cheese and veggies will be enough to soften the pasta. I'm thinking not.

What I wound up doing was making a collar of heavy duty foil and pressing it tightly around the pan. Then putting the remaining sauce on and covering it with regular foil, allowing it to puff up somewhat but attaching all of the foil tightly. I did not put any cheese on top. The directions said to bake for one hour. I intend to bake for 50 minutes, then put the cheese then bake for another 10 minutes. And hope it works!

I just find that the gluten-free stuff doesn't react the same as wheat stuff when it comes to pasta. Has anyone been able to successfully use the no boil? Did you have to use a lot of sauce? It does smell good. So that's a start.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I have answered my own question. As I feared, the edges of the pasta were crispy. Not as tough as the wheat pasta was, but certainly not something you'd want. Daughter hated it! I won't be making any more lasagna for another year or so.

Lisa Mentor

I have answered my own question. As I feared, the edges of the pasta were crispy. Not as tough as the wheat pasta was, but certainly not something you'd want. Daughter hated it! I won't be making any more lasagna for another year or so.

Hahah...Lasagna is not my best effort either.

Adalaide Mentor

I prefer stuffed shells to lasagna. Sure, they're much more time consuming to make but I don't screw them up every time either. Nothing is as disappointing as smelling something amazing cook for an hour just to have it come out bad. Those are the nights that turn in to ice cream for supper nights.

Juliebove Rising Star

I prefer stuffed shells to lasagna. Sure, they're much more time consuming to make but I don't screw them up every time either. Nothing is as disappointing as smelling something amazing cook for an hour just to have it come out bad. Those are the nights that turn in to ice cream for supper nights.

I like the lasagna only because I add extra veggies to it. Which of course are the part my daughter won't eat! We both like the stuffed shells, so I will be making those from now on.

fantasticalice Explorer

Food.com has an excellent recipe for tortilla lasagna!

kareng Grand Master

I make lasagna all the time. I just use the Tinkyada noodles but don't cook them first or they melt. I have never put an egg in my lasagna.

I have seen recipes with really thin layers of egg plant as the noodles but I have not tried that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fantasticalice Explorer

Open Original Shared Link

here's that link for tortilla lasagna

Adalaide Mentor

With my girls I would puree veggies and freeze them in ice cube trays. Then I could pop a few out and throw them into pretty much anything and they never had a clue. Of course, successfully hiding them in a white cheese filling could prove difficult. I suppose cauliflower could work, never tested the flavor of that added to anything by itself. I must have done something right though, one of them counts asparagus and brussel sprouts as some of her favorite foods.

love2travel Mentor

Butternut squash, porcini mushroom and spinach bechamel lasagne is killer.

When I make lasagne I use pasta sheets I make myself. It is so easy to do with my pasta maker (although you wouldn't need one - just roll out as thinly as possible).

Lisa Mentor

I make lasagna all the time. I just use the Tinkyada noodles but don't cook them first or they melt. I have never put an egg in my lasagna.

I have seen recipes with really thin layers of egg plant as the noodles but I have not tried that.

How do you keep it moist Karen. Mine is either really dry or too mushy. I don't cook the Tinks. I use left over spaghetti sauce. :huh: I guess it tastes like spaghetti lasagna. <thinking>, so why go through the trouble, just server spaghetti. :P

kareng Grand Master

How do you keep it moist Karen. Mine is either really dry or too mushy. I don't cook the Tinks. I use left over spaghetti sauce. :huh: I guess it tastes like spaghetti lasagna. <thinking>, so why go through the trouble, just server spaghetti. :P

I make my sauce and add an extra cup of water at the end. I think I only use 3 layers of noodles instead of 4 but with the same amount of cheese. My mom has given the recipe away to charity cookbooks so I will post it here. But probably tomorrow. Ifi forget, someone PM me. :) :)

kareng Grand Master

Did you guys ever try this recipe? It's a lot like a noodless lasagna. I only used 1 I'll of fresh spinach and next time will add a little Italian sausage either to the dumpling or the sauce. I didn't use the white besciamella & I used jarred Newmans Marinara. But this won't work for Julie, it needs the eggs to hold it together. :(

Juliebove Rising Star

Open Original Shared Link

here's that link for tortilla lasagna

I have made that but my daughter doesn't like it.

Juliebove Rising Star

With my girls I would puree veggies and freeze them in ice cube trays. Then I could pop a few out and throw them into pretty much anything and they never had a clue. Of course, successfully hiding them in a white cheese filling could prove difficult. I suppose cauliflower could work, never tested the flavor of that added to anything by itself. I must have done something right though, one of them counts asparagus and brussel sprouts as some of her favorite foods.

You can hide the veggies in the pasta sauce. Just cook first and use an immersion blender. But seeing as how my daughter is 13 now I thought I could get away with it. Apparently not.

Archived