Rate this topic

Has anyone had an experience of really bad brain fog. It is highly similar to Depersonalization/Derealization disorder it seems. At first I thought I had that but then I tied celiac into the rash I kept getting which looked nearly identical to dermatitis herpetiformis. I have since been off gluten for 2 months now and the rashes seem to have disappeared though however this weird strange feelings of not really being alive persist though not as intense as before. Does anyone know how long before this cognitive stuff has significant improvement?

If differs for each person depending how progressed you were when you went on a gluten-free diet and how strict you are with your diet. Personally, I had to get all my vits in order as well. It is a slow progression and there are days I have slight relapses which I have not quite figured out. I am 11 months into a gluten-free diet and I can tell you my brain is not quite back to what it once was but doing much much better.

It gets worse for me if I'm hypothyroid though I'm still struggling with some fog. See if your Dr. will check your vitamin D and B12 levels.

It gets worse for me if I'm hypothyroid though I'm still struggling with some fog. See if your Dr. will check your vitamin D and B12 levels.

I had my vitamin D check few months ago and was a little low. I have been supplementing with Vitamin D and B12 and other vitamins. Dr refuses to test my B12 saying the test is inaccurate. I'm not sure how much damage I caused but i never really got stomach problems its weird. Like I still had very foul semi solid stool but I never really had any stomach pain nor have I ever puked from it. My TSH was tested at 3.7 though like 4 months ago, I wonder if it has since gone down as I have lost about 20 lbs after going gluten free.

That TSH would be high enough for me to have trouble, and you're outside the new range of 0.5-3.0. That needs to be checked again for sure.

Has anyone had an experience of really bad brain fog. It is highly similar to Depersonalization/Derealization disorder it seems. At first I thought I had that but then I tied celiac into the rash I kept getting which looked nearly identical to dermatitis herpetiformis. I have since been off gluten for 2 months now and the rashes seem to have disappeared though however this weird strange feelings of not really being alive persist though not as intense as before. Does anyone know how long before this cognitive stuff has significant improvement?

The celiacs with dermatitis herpetiformis (dh) tend to have less or no GI symptoms so that could explain your lack of those things. I had few GI symptoms. However, looking back I now see where I DID have GI symptoms as early as the teens years including why I was turned off by beer during those teen experimentation years of drinking beer. I actually used to tell people I thought the barley in it was what made my stomach feel like a yard rake had been drug across the lining & I would always end up in the bathroom. I was right! There were other signs too; they just faded over the years.

I am still experiencing brain fog but not as intensely as before & not as often. It used to be pretty much all the time. I've also had a problem with being MOL dyslexic in that when I type I reverse the letter order in words. It's getting better but it's very disconcerting. I never had anything like dyslexia before about 2 years ago.

Yea what I experienced the past year was definitely Derealization symptoms. Feels like I'm high all the time and that I am not really alive. These feelings have lessened in intensity as of my 2 months being gluten free. I'm not sure if anyone has experienced brain fog quite like that where things seem like a bad acid trip.

In terms of my TSH, I am suppose to get this rechecked in a week or so. I do not think I am hypothyroid though as my T4 and thyroid antibodies where normal, and recently I have lost 20 lbs since going gluten free which would be impossible with a thyroid problem. At first though this is what I thought I had as I had gained a good 15 lbs in the last year while eating the same. I'm not sure what steps I should take next, but i am about 90 percent certain the rashes I had where DH. I did have a blood antibody test for celiac though which was negative, however I'm sure thats only accurate after years of glutening undiagnosed. The strange thing is their is absolutely no trace of autoimmune disorders in my family.

Does anyone else out there have further information on dermatitis herpetiformis and its relation to neurological gluten problems. From the medical journals I have been reading dermatitis herpetiformis should be treated as a different but related disease as celiac and thus I'm sure different biological pathways are involved.

Does anyone else out there have further information on dermatitis herpetiformis and its relation to neurological gluten problems. From the medical journals I have been reading dermatitis herpetiformis should be treated as a different but related disease as celiac and thus I'm sure different biological pathways are involved.

Perhaps you should look at recent posts in the DH section of the forum? You might find some good info in that section on DH.