This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going In To Be Tested Today

Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I have been pretty sick for two months now. It just got really bad in last two weeks. I have gone to two different ERs where I was told that I had a relative constipation in my ascending colon and that is what was causing the nonstop burning sensation in my upper abdomen. I was put on a Miralax cleanse for a week, to be followed up with stool softener. Bloodwork was fine, no issues with gallbladder. I was told to follow a high fiber diet which I already had in place. Anyway, I did what the ER doc suggested, and still felt crappy. So I was eating oatmeal, Raisin Bran, and Cream of Wheat and I still felt horrible.

I ended up in another ER just this week where they couldn't find the exact problem. They states I could have gastritis or an ulcer. I am scheduled for a endoscopy next week, but I am getting blood tested for Celiac today. Last year I was told I was anemic and advised to take iron pills three timea a day. Shortly after that, I began to get rashes all over my abdomen, arms, and back of my knees. It wasn't until my mom suggested it yesterday that I even considered Celiac disease. I was lactose intolerant as a newborn and more recently found out I was. I also havw an aunt with MS and a cousin with Crohns disease.

Anyway, my question is this. Should I eat something with gluten for breakfast this morning before I go in for the bloodwork to assure a positive test? I had oatmeal two nights ago before not realizing it might be my problem. Would the gluten from that show up in my bloodwork? I would hate to have to eat something with gluten to end up in the ER again. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Do not stop consuming gluten, even though it makes you feel lousy, hon. Sorry, but it is the presence of Tissue transglutaminase antibodies that are measured by blood work. Do not change your diet just yet.

You mention an endoscopy. That will NOT diagnose Celiac.

You need to have a biopsy done while the doctor is down there.

They take several samples of the small intestine so they can see if the villi, which line the gut, are blunted or flat.

Here are the tests explained:

Open Original Shared Link

Finally, tests have their faults and some of us are seronegative, meaning our lab tests were negative, but we have Celiac nonetheless.

Good luck! Hope you get some answers.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

You need to be eating a sufficient amount of gluten DAILY in the week/months leading up to your tests. Being gluten free, or even gluten "light" for even a short time, can change the results of the tests. Oatmeal probably wouldn't be sufficient as it is naturally gluten free and only off limits to celiacs due to cross contamination with wheat.

Cara

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I have also had Raisin Bran, some whole wheat tortillas, Sunchips, deli thins a lot since this has all started. Again not knowing it could be the cause.

IrishHeart Veteran

Eat up. :) Until your testing is over. You want it to as accurate as possible.

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

Thanks! I will! As miserable as it will make me, but if you want accuracy, you have to do what you gotta to get answers. I just wish I had realized this before it got to this point. I really thought it was IBS.

IrishHeart Veteran

Many of us heard that one. "IBS" :rolleyes:

You know what we call it on here?

Doctors use it when they do not know what else to say

It stands for

I

Be

Stumped

:lol:

Have your tests run and come back and tell us what happened.

best wishes!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran
laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif I like to think of the initials IBS as indicating the doctors ---- Imbecilic B&$$ S%$&ters.ohmy.gif
Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I am waiting to see the doctor right now. For those of you who lost weight, how rapid was your weight loss? I was 172 last Thursday, now I am about 163-164. I am hungry but I was scared to eat. Last night I had scrambled Eggbeaters and applesauce and my heartburn wasn't that awful. This morning I had Rice Chex. It seems to be the only thing that doesn't make me feel all that bad. Any other food suggestions until my EGD?

IrishHeart Veteran

I lost 90 lbs. Not sure how long it took. I was very sick.

But not everyone loses weight!

You have to eat, hon and you have to keep consuming gluten, sorry.

When is the biopsy??

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

Next Thursday and now I have colonoscopy scheduled at the same time. I may try some scrambled eggs and toast.

IrishHeart Veteran

Next Thursday and now I have colonoscopy scheduled at the same time. I may try some scrambled eggs and toast.

Make sure they take many samples in that biopsy from various places.

Archived