peaches987

Barium Scan

Rate this topic

Hi everyone! I'm brand new here, but not quite new to celiac. I was diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy nearly a year ago (last summer). I'm super super strict with the diet too, I check everything that comes near me, from lipstick to toothpaste.

Here's my question: when I woke up from my first endoscopy one year ago, my gastroentrologist said one year from now/for the next five years I would have to have a barium scan to make sure everything looked fine with my insides (from what I read this was standard procedure). I'd read about that as well, and it seemed normal. He was very clear on that. I was going to have a date with a Barium scan. Next year. Don't be late.

Fast forward one year later (present day). It was for my checkup since enacting my gluten-free diet. My doctor gives me five minutes of his time, total. He asked how I was, I said fine and explained that truthfully I am feeling better, and notice a huge difference, although I've lost about 8 pounds in this last month, which is troubling to me because i'm small to begin with so 8 pounds seems huge(although if I'm being honest I think hte reason I dropped it is beause I haven't been snacking like I should, and I've been too cheap to buy cookies, so bam. The weight just vanished. Now I'm fretting over how to gain it back and shocked that I lost 8 whole pounds when I still eat three meals a day, plus dessert! Darn you, fast metabolism!!).

Gastro didn't seem to think there was anything to worry about though (my general practictioner said the same) and when I said 'when should I schedule the barium scan', he brushed it off saying, no we don't have to poke around in you unless your blood work comes bad strange.

So my bloodwork came back normal. Yay! But I'm really really confused. He was SO adament about this barium scan last year, and now he's saying I don't need it? Should I push for the barium scan? Do I really not need it if the bloodwork's fine? Why would he say I needed it and then back out? What should I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have never heard of a barium scan being used for a follow-up after a celiac diagnosis. Maybe the doctor meant you might need one if your symptoms hadn't resolved on the diet. Just my guess.

Was he referring to a barium swallow, upper Gi series or a CT enterography scan? I was having trouble back in 2010 and I had a whole slew of tests. I had a gallbladder ultrasound, HIDA scan (gallbladder function scan) and a repeat scope/biopsy. When those failed to show anything, and 8 month later, my GI had me have a CT enterography study done to look. I had to drink three bottles of special low volume CT contrast then have a scan of my abdomen after drinking it and with the IV contrast. It is a scan to look at the small bowel and related issues. Luckily it came back normal and I later found out I was reacting to gluten free oat cross contamination.

So, If everything for you is coming back normal and you are feeling great and having no symptoms, then IMHO, skip it.