This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Home Testing Kits For Celiac?

JenniBea

JenniBea Newbie

So I have being feeling a little rubbish (like death!!) recently, and after comparing my list of symptoms with those of celiac disease sufferers, I decided to buy a home-testing kit and I got a positive result. I have done a blood test at the doctors, but am still waiting for results. Also, I am going for an endoscopy in two weeks. I was just wondering, how reliable do you guys think these testing kits are? Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JaneWhoLovesRain Enthusiast

So I have being feeling a little rubbish (like death!!) recently, and after comparing my list of symptoms with those of celiac disease sufferers, I decided to buy a home-testing kit and I got a positive result. I have done a blood test at the doctors, but am still waiting for results. Also, I am going for an endoscopy in two weeks. I was just wondering, how reliable do you guys think these testing kits are? Thanks in advance!

Jenni - what is the home testing kit? I've never heard of it but sounds like something I would like to try (since no doctor believes I have celiac.) Is it something for which you have to eat gluten in order for it to work right?

Jane

JenniBea Newbie

Hi Jane! It is called a 'bio-card', which works in a similar way to a pregnancy test, but instead of pee, you take blood from your finger with a small device provided with the pack. You prick your finger, and that goes is the designated window on the card, then add a diluting solution, also provided, and watch the test window. Takes 10 minutes, doesn't hurt, and confirmed to myself that I wasn't imagining things. It tests for IgA an IgG in your blood, which only appear in your blood if you have been taking gluten. So I guess you have to suck it up ad get some toast!! Always a down-side, eh?! But they do have high claims of accuracy.

They sell for around

VydorScope Proficient

Intersting... does not look like it is sold in America though... anyone know how accurate it is?

nvsmom Community Regular

I just took the Ani Biotech Biocard Celiac test (by 2G Pharma Inc.) this weekend and it gave me a positive result too :unsure: ... I just joined the forum to ask about this. I've got a doctor appointment tomorrow and then (probably) blood tests early next week so I imagine that I'll know how accurate it is by... July?

I'm in Canada. The company is out of Finland. The test has been endorsed by Health Canada and the Canadian Celiac association so Canadians seem to think it's a good indicator of Celiac, although the test says an "The only confirmatory test for celiac disease is a small intestinal biopsy".... sigh.

Nicole

MrsMcC Rookie

Hi, I am in the UK too and have seen these online, but don't know if somewhere like Boots sells them over the counter? Seriously thinking of getting one.

I had a really good appointment with my Consultant yesterday. He agrees that because all the tests so far have come back ok (abdo scan, endoscopy - although was not looking for Celiac damage as we hadnt even thought about it when they did the endoscopy!!)

He said there is a very good chance of Celiac, but if the test comes back negative has said I definitely have a gluten intolerance and should go Gluten Free after the bloods are done anyway.

He is writing to my family doctor to ask for them to do full Celiac screen, but I may have to wait 2 weeks.... I just want to start feeling better and I felt a huge improvement after 10 days going gluten free, but of course am now eating the evil stuff and feel like poo again!

It was so nice talking to a doctor who didnt think I am crazy or a hypochondriac, which is how I felt!

VydorScope Proficient

Anyone know of an American store I can get this from? I would like to try it before my son goes to long gluten-free for it to matter and ordering from UK/etc will just take to long in shipping. I am not putting my son back on gluten for this, but do want to try it. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Malisa1 Newbie

Intersting... does not look like it is sold in America though... anyone know how accurate it is?

You can buy it from an online Canadian pharmacy because the US doesn't have an equivalent home test. I suggest that you squeeze the tip of your finger, though, so a lot of blood will collect there. I did not and couldn't squeeze out enough blood to save my life. Just an FYI

VydorScope Proficient

You can buy it from an online Canadian pharmacy because the US doesn't have an equivalent home test. I suggest that you squeeze the tip of your finger, though, so a lot of blood will collect there. I did not and couldn't squeeze out enough blood to save my life. Just an FYI

Do you know of a respectable one I could order from?

nvsmom Community Regular

Do you know of a respectable one I could order from?

Health Canada and the Canadian Celiac Association both endorse the Ani Biotech Biocard Celiac test (by 2G Pharma Inc.). It's the test that I took and got a positive tTg test on (I only squeezed out about 75% of the blood needed for the test too). I have also taken a blood test (in a lab) but I haven't got my results back yet so i can't personnally attest to it's reliability yet.

Anyway, if you google that product you might find results. I bought mine from Amaranth Whole Foods Market but I have no idea if they would ship one down there.

Nicole S

Skylark Collaborator

You order a Celiacsure home kit from here. They will ship to individuals in the US. It is a TTG test with the same risk of false negatives as any TTG blood test.

Open Original Shared Link

• 1 month later...
Will29 Rookie

I just took this and got a negative, I have been gluten free for two weeks but have been eating gluten since last night (and think I accidentally did a few times in the two weeks). Should the test be accurate if I have been eating it since last night, or was I too quick, do I still need to wait two weeks, or can I say it's intolerance now not celiac?

Skylark Collaborator

I just took this and got a negative, I have been gluten free for two weeks but have been eating gluten since last night (and think I accidentally did a few times in the two weeks). Should the test be accurate if I have been eating it since last night, or was I too quick, do I still need to wait two weeks, or can I say it's intolerance now not celiac?

The home tests are better for finding celiac than for ruling it out. TTG tests are 80% accurate. There is still a 20% chance that you are celiac so no, you shouldn't assume you are intolerant.

Archived