Big Bob

Can This Be Celiac?

Rate this topic

I have been having frequent bowel movements, soft stool, diareaha, and everything in between. I have had excess gas and bloating, belching for years. I was diagnosed with acid reflux 4 yrs ago. I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago and that's when most of the symptoms started. 2 days after surgery I had dermatitis on my face. I now get itchy bumps, blisters on my arms (mildly, not severe), I get bad pains in my right arm, shoulder(upper and back) Itchy bumps on my skull and back of neck in the hairline. I have had loose stool since the surgery but in the last 3 weeks it has turned into a nightmare going anywhere from 7 to 12 times a day. It stated the morning after I had eaten a meal of french fries doused in malt vinegar, pork bbq sandwitch, and a large wheat ale. I went to the doctor and he said it was a virus,ok then I went back after 10 days and he said it was still a stomach virus but did order blood and stool tests. I haven't gotten the results yet but while doing a google search on my symptoms I came across this thing called celeac sprue. I have researched the symptoms and found that even my leg pains could come from this. I will bring it to my docs attention. So what do YOU think?

I have been having frequent bowel movements, soft stool, diareaha, and everything in between. I have had excess gas and bloating, belching for years. I was diagnosed with acid reflux 4 yrs ago. I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago and that's when most of the symptoms started. 2 days after surgery I had dermatitis on my face. I now get itchy bumps, blisters on my arms (mildly, not severe), I get bad pains in my right arm, shoulder(upper and back) Itchy bumps on my skull and back of neck in the hairline. I have had loose stool since the surgery but in the last 3 weeks it has turned into a nightmare going anywhere from 7 to 12 times a day. It stated the morning after I had eaten a meal of french fries doused in malt vinegar, pork bbq sandwitch, and a large wheat ale. I went to the doctor and he said it was a virus,ok then I went back after 10 days and he said it was still a stomach virus but did order blood and stool tests. I haven't gotten the results yet but while doing a google search on my symptoms I came across this thing called celeac sprue. I have researched the symptoms and found that even my leg pains could come from this. I will bring it to my docs attention. So what do YOU think?

I think you have some of the symptoms for sure. Best wishes on getting well!

I think you have some of the symptoms for sure. Best wishes on getting well!

Yes I think so too. Thanks for the Well Wishes!

I think it's quite likely that you have celiac disease also. At the very least maybe non celiac gluten intolerance.

If you want to get tested then DO NOT stop eating gluten until ALL testing is done including an endoscopy with biopsies.

Hi BBob,

Sounds like it could be celiac to me. There are quite a few threads on this forum by people who had their gall bladders removed thinking that was the problem. But it wasn't. Having a gall bladder removed does cause it's own set of problems with digestion, and the time to adjust to not having a gall bladder can vary . But several months to a year is what I have read.

The celiac antibody tests are a simple blood draw that they send off to a lb for analysis. If those are positive the doc may want to do an endoscopy but that is optional IMHO.

To get fairly reliable results though you need to keep eating gluten until the tests are completed. Unfortunately the results are not 100% accurate, especially when it comes to negative results. It's best to go ahead and try the gluten-free diet for a several months regardless of what the test results say. You may find your body responds positively in a few weeks. But the gall bladder removal could skew the results. People here have reported diahrea after a gall bladder removal until their systems adjust.

Hi BBob,

Sounds like it could be celiac to me. There are quite a few threads on this forum by people who had their gall bladders removed thinking that was the problem. But it wasn't. Having a gall bladder removed does cause it's own set of problems with digestion, and the time to adjust to not having a gall bladder can vary . But several months to a year is what I have read.

The celiac antibody tests are a simple blood draw that they send off to a lb for analysis. If those are positive the doc may want to do an endoscopy but that is optional IMHO.

To get fairly reliable results though you need to keep eating gluten until the tests are completed. Unfortunately the results are not 100% accurate, especially when it comes to negative results. It's best to go ahead and try the gluten-free diet for a several months regardless of what the test results say. You may find your body responds positively in a few weeks. But the gall bladder removal could skew the results. People here have reported diahrea after a gall bladder removal until their systems adjust.

Thanks for the input. I have tried to do the gluten free for the past 2 days so I guess I better start eating it again if I'm going to be tested. I would think that my digestive system would be getting better since it will be 3 yrs in Oct. since my surgery but it's getting worse instead.