MelanieS

In The Early Testing Stages.

Rate this topic

I am a 34 year old wife and mother of two who is starting the celiac testing journey. I have been having issues for a while now but never really connected the dots until recently. I had the celiac panel drawn yesterday and will be having an endoscopy on July 10th. My oldes daughter is almost 2.5 and has not been diagnosed with Celiacs yet but her last few scopes have shown indicators. Her Celiac panel was drawn on Wednesday. Daughter has also been diagnosed with Food Protein Induced Enterocolitis with all dairy/soy and there derivatives being a trigger for her. She is also diagnosed as Failure to thrive weighing only 22.5 pounds at 29 months. She had to be hospitalized two months ago for impaction and is now on a daily dose of Miralax but still complains her stomach hurts her.

Regardless of the results, we will be going gluten-free to see if it helps with both of our issues. I'm really hoping that it will help my daughter be able to gain weight and to get off of Miralax daily. My husband is supportive of this. I hope to learn from all of you guys as my family goes through this journey.

My husband is willing to go gluten-free but I struggle with what to do regarding my 13 month old. Would you make her gluten-free too?

i would go gluten-free with your daughter just to make it easier to feed your family. That way no one is getting food that the other can't have and no one will feel they are missing out on something.

From what I understand, it is difficult to diagnose young children with celiac so you might as well avoid doing undetectable intestinal harm to your little one.

This is just another mom's opinion though. I'm being tested myself and am not thoroughly well read in this area yet. Best wishes to you and your family.

Nicole S

i would go gluten-free with your daughter just to make it easier to feed your family. That way no one is getting food that the other can't have and no one will feel they are missing out on something.

From what I understand, it is difficult to diagnose young children with celiac so you might as well avoid doing undetectable intestinal harm to your little one.

This is just another mom's opinion though. I'm being tested myself and am not thoroughly well read in this area yet. Best wishes to you and your family.

Nicole S

Totally makes sense. Of course, in my house I already have different avoidances. Oldest daughter (who is being tested) can't have any dairy or soy and youngest can't have eggs or bananas.