rekua

Could Juice Fasting Make My Results False-Negative?

Rate this topic

Hi,

I've suffered from eczema for the last 4 years and in the last few years I started to go on juice fasts from time to time to heal my skin. I did a 10-day juice fast from 8th July to the 17th. After I broke the fast, I didn't eat much food that could possibly contain gluten but still I know that I ate a little bit of them because I had no idea that I could have celiac disease. On 24th July I ate a huge piece of bread with vegetables and suddenly I felt sick. It felt like my UTI was coming back, too immediately. So I started to research my symptoms and it became clear to me that I have celiac. I found that all of my symptoms, even the little ones could be caused by celiac. On 28th July I tested negative to TransGlutaminase igA blood work, even though I ate to slices of pizza the day before to make sure I was gonna have antibodies in my blood. On the contrary, my Immunoglobulin A test came back with 415 mg/dl while the range is 70 to 400.

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two types of tests? And do you think there's a chance that I tested negative because of the fasting prior to the test?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the board. The transglutaminase IgA is the autoimmune test for celiac disease. Your other test was total IgA, which measures how much IgA you're making to everything. High total IgA suggests there is inflammation in your gut but it's not specific for celiac.

It sounds like you were essentially gluten-free for close to three weeks? That seems fast for celiac antibodies to disappear entirely, but nobody can know for sure. One day eating pizza will not bring the antibodies back if they were gone. They take a month or two on a full gluten diet to reappear.

Hi,

I've suffered from eczema for the last 4 years and in the last few years I started to go on juice fasts from time to time to heal my skin. I did a 10-day juice fast from 8th July to the 17th. After I broke the fast, I didn't eat much food that could possibly contain gluten but still I know that I ate a little bit of them because I had no idea that I could have celiac disease. On 24th July I ate a huge piece of bread with vegetables and suddenly I felt sick. It felt like my UTI was coming back, too immediately. So I started to research my symptoms and it became clear to me that I have celiac. I found that all of my symptoms, even the little ones could be caused by celiac. On 28th July I tested negative to TransGlutaminase igA blood work, even though I ate to slices of pizza the day before to make sure I was gonna have antibodies in my blood. On the contrary, my Immunoglobulin A test came back with 415 mg/dl while the range is 70 to 400.

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two types of tests? And do you think there's a chance that I tested negative because of the fasting prior to the test?

Thanks!

what was the number for the transglutaminase?

Thank you for your answers. My TransGlutaminase igA was 3 U/ml and they noted that it is a weak positive from 10.