nvsmom

Best Tests For Young Children?

Rate this topic

I was very recently diagnosed with celiac after, I am sure, a lifetime of having it. I want to get my boys accurately tested for celiac as well and I would love some advice as to what to check for.

I was diagnosed with IgA tTg at greater than 200(reference range 0-20) and positive EMA; I chose not to do a biopsy and have not yet checked my mineral and nutrient levels... From what I understand, this type of testing isn't necessarily going to be accurate for my young kids.

Where I live, a celiac screen is simply IgA levels, IgA tTg, and EMA. I understand that tTg is often an accurate test for kids but EMA usually doesn't work? I've heard DMG IgG is good to request. I was also thinking that I should request tests on their iron, calcium, B12, folate and zinc for malabsorption issues... Is there another that can be deficient, or often is, in celiac children?

I don't plan on doing a biopsy on them if tests are positive at all; I'll just put them gluten-free with me. If tests are negative, I'll wait a year or two and test again to see if it's manifested.

If any of them are positive, then I think I'll make the whole family gluten-free, although Dh will hate me for it. :rolleyes: lol

My boys are 9, 7 and just about 5. Overall they are avergaely active and fairly content, typical boys. This is more about them:

My oldest probably has Aspergers (extremely mild autism that we don't have a definitive diagnosis for yet). He gets an occasional stomach ache. He is often constipated and moody. His skin is often pale and usually has a bit of ring under his eyes. Plus he is moving down the height percentiles from 75%+ as an infant to 25-50% now; his younger brother is the SAME height as him. I worry that he is cc the most, but a month ago we had him tested and his IgA, tTg and EMA were normal, although I haven't seen the numbers yet.

Son #2 lives for bread and breaded foods. Can be pale with the dark circles and is only occasionally moody. My only worry with him is how he craves breads and crackers... we often want what's bad for us right?

Son#3 is only a concern with his bowel movements which vary widely. He'll have floaters, to mucusy mess, to pellets or logs, D or C. And he poops 3-8 times a day; he seems to have a hard time completely voiding himself of waste since he'll be back in in 15 minutes.

Anyway, any advice you can give is appreciated. Thanks!

Where I live, a celiac screen is simply IgA levels, IgA tTg, and EMA. I understand that tTg is often an accurate test for kids but EMA usually doesn't work? I've heard DMG IgG is good to request. I was also thinking that I should request tests on their iron, calcium, B12, folate and zinc for malabsorption issues... Is there another that can be deficient, or often is, in celiac children?

The last test you're thinking of is deamidated gliadin peptide IgG, abbreviated DGP. It would be good to ask for becasue it can be pretty sensitive in kids. I've read the same thing about EMA, that it's less sensitive than tTG in kids.

One more vitamin that can be deficient is vitamin D, though I don't know how common D deficiency is in kids. It's pretty common among celiac (and even non-celiac) adults.

Thanks RoxieB and Skylark! I'll make a note of those. :)