Skittles

Tests For Food Intollerances

Rate this topic

Are tere tests to find out wat foods you are intollerant to?

An allergist/immunologist would be the one to make this determination. They can do some through blood tests and others through skin tests. If you don't want to do that you can eliminate each food one at a time and keep a log of your reactions. If you do it all at once, you won't know which one you are either intolerant of or allergic to. Hope this helps.

Tanks ! I tink I am just oin to try eliminatin tins for now but its ood to know my options.

Sorry for al of te typos lol a cople of letters on my key board arent workin

Tanks ! I tink I am just oin to try eliminatin tins for now but its ood to know my options.

Sorry for al of te typos lol a cople of letters on my key board arent workin

Tanks...LOL :lol:

• Upvote 1

An elimination diet is a good way to go. Enterolabs has some food intolerance testing but I don't know how reliable it is. Skin prick testing and even ELISA testing is not super reliable either.

Starting an elimination diet with only 5 foods is a good beginning. You want to start with a small number of variables not a large number. Then you add one food at a time after 2 weeks. After a week add another food. When something doens't work you add it to the "crap other people eat but not me" list.

It is very possible to have intolerances to more than one food, so starting with a large number of foods and eliminating one doesn't work. You might eliminate one problem food but still feel lousy because you are continuing to eat another problem food. You have to get all the liars OUT of one room in this case.

Did u sy tipo? Nerver noticked. :)

An allergist/immunologist would be the one to make this determination.

An allergist isn't going to look for intolerances. They look for IgE allergies, those which are likely to cause an anaphylactic reaction. A positive blood or skin prick test is 50/50 on accuracy. A negative is better than 90% accurate. So given those odds on the western medical testing, I don't think so much of other alternative testing. A food log is really the best for intolerances.

An elimination diet is a good way to go. Enterolabs has some food intolerance testing but I don't know how reliable it is. Skin prick testing and even ELISA testing is not super reliable either.

I did food testing at EnteroLab and found it very accurate. Since I was still having problems, I went back to my basic "banana and rice" diet plus a few other foods. I was trying to decide which to eliminate first, corn or soy, but decided to pay the money and do the testing. EnteroLab said that soy and corn were both fine, but that I was intolerant to oats (which I seldom ate) and rice. March 11th, the day I eliminated rice, I used four Imodium. I have had only one in the four months since. The testing cost several hundred dollars, but I glad I did it. It takes me forever to test by elimination.

I did food testing at EnteroLab and found it very accurate. Since I was still having problems, I went back to my basic "banana and rice" diet plus a few other foods. I was trying to decide which to eliminate first, corn or soy, but decided to pay the money and do the testing. EnteroLab said that soy and corn were both fine, but that I was intolerant to oats (which I seldom ate) and rice. March 11th, the day I eliminated rice, I used four Imodium. I have had only one in the four months since. The testing cost several hundred dollars, but I glad I did it. It takes me forever to test by elimination.

Thanks Lori,

It's good to hear that Enterolabs testing worked out for you. Elimination diets still have an important place though. There is a limited number of foods that Enterolabs or any other lab can test after all, much more limited than the number of foods we can eat. So there are lots of possibilities that they can't test. An elimination diet can test any food.

I had the hair testing done. Turns out I am intolerant to many different herbs including mint! Also oats and rye. Yes, I know rye isn't gluten-free but gluten isn't my problem. I had been eating bread with oats and rye. My stomach settled down when I changed my diet. My blood sugar dipped from the 400's down to hypos. I am still working on that. I need less and less insulin. Also lost weight.

Are tere tests to find out wat foods you are intollerant to?

Yes there are, how i found out was by taking a home gluten intolerance test kit. Its pretty simple, you just get a drop of blood from your finger using a lancet and test it. The good thing about doing the test at home is that also family members could have it to as its quite common for multiple people in the same family to be affected. So this saves an on mass trip to the doctors ;)

You might want to check out the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet). It really is an elimination diet of sorts that starts with only a few easily digested foods and allows you to try others. There's lots of info online about that and a book written about it.