merkia

Re-Glutening For Blood Test

Rate this topic

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some advice on when is the best time for getting my daughter's blood taken.

She just turned 2 this month. She has consumed low/no gluten for the majority of her life. I did eat gluten the entire time I was pregnant and for 9 months of breastfeeding. When I stopped breastfeeding at 21 months we didn't give her gluten directly, but she was definitely exposed to it at daycare (starting from 14 months old) and there were a few accidental exposures at home.

Anyway, on May 23rd we decided to stop worrying about cross-contamination and on June 6 we started slowly introducing gluten. For the past couple weeks she has been eating 2-3 meals + snacks that include gluten. At this point is this enough exposure to get a positive blood test or should I wait another month or two to get the recommended 3 months?

We're getting her tested because of family history and some possible symptoms (including positive HLA-DQ2). I kept her off gluten as a preventative measure, but at this point it just seems silly to continue avoiding gluten without a specific reason (also because its expensive and we are struggling financially right now).

I think the minimum time for a gluten challenge is 6 weeks but, from what I understand, that's not enough for everyone. Many 2 year olds have negative ttg tests because they've not been alive long enough to accumulate enough damage in their duodenum for it to register on the blood tests.

I would do gluten longer if you want to test or just continue to avoid it all together if you can swing it financially; I don't think wheat products are all that good for anybody now a days.

Good luck to you.

False negative results with children are high even if they have never been gluten free. Just because she has the genes doesn't mean she will for sure become a celiac. If you do want to test her then it is advised in many cases for the person to consume a regular gluten diet for 2 to 3 months first. But a false negative is still possible. If she develops symptoms after reintroducing gluten that is a bit of an indication that she needs a diet but that doesn't mean she will have positive tests.

Yeah, I'm aware that on young children the test can be false negative :(

I guess waiting for another month is probably best, I just have a tendency to want to get things done and over with right away.