This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Being A Girl Sucks

Adalaide

Adalaide Mentor

So, it's been seven months now. In those seven months I've been getting my periods completely randomly and always early. Always. Sometimes by two full weeks, sometimes only by about half a week.

Now... Now my best friend who I sub for at the college is away for a week on vacation. Two weeks ago I started waiting. Days came and went. Now, when I'm working. When I'm the sub and can't be sick. When I want to curl up under this desk and die because it feels like a million little imps are trying to tear my uterus from my body through my spine. Now it's perfectly, perfect on time. Perfect 28 days like it used to be.

I somehow knew that this would be the month this happened. I knew it. I knew last month when I looked at my calender and saw that in a month I'd be working.

Sometimes being a woman just sucks. This is one of those times. Chocolate ban be damned.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Ugh! I know exactly how you are feeling. Mine are 21-28 days apart. And always crampy and make me feel like complete crap.

I agree with ya! Sucks!

veronika Newbie

*nods* Yeah being a woman does suck sometimes...sounds rough over there. Gotta love Murphy's law, whenever you don't want to have your period, you probably will. Heating pad and some ibuprofen?

When you said you wanted you curl up under your desk, I'll have you say I had flashbacks of George (from Seinfeld) and his desk-bed, lol. If only workplaces would support this :P.

Hope you feel better soon.

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

So, it's been seven months now. In those seven months I've been getting my periods completely randomly and always early. Always. Sometimes by two full weeks, sometimes only by about half a week.

Now... Now my best friend who I sub for at the college is away for a week on vacation. Two weeks ago I started waiting. Days came and went. Now, when I'm working. When I'm the sub and can't be sick. When I want to curl up under this desk and die because it feels like a million little imps are trying to tear my uterus from my body through my spine. Now it's perfectly, perfect on time. Perfect 28 days like it used to be.

I somehow knew that this would be the month this happened. I knew it. I knew last month when I looked at my calender and saw that in a month I'd be working.

Sometimes being a woman just sucks. This is one of those times. Chocolate ban be damned.

Aww poor Addy. Haha. It always seems to work out that way.

I have bad aches in my low back when mine comes too and you pretty well described how it feels.

cavernio Enthusiast

Yeah, they really suck. Ibuprofen and coffee were my period sustenants.

Funny thing with the chocolate. I've got a relative who was on strong pain meds for years, they messed up her period completely, she thought she went through menopause but it turned out that it was just the meds. Anyways, she got off those meds for awhile, and lo and behold, the day after she got this urgent chocolate craving, a craving she says she hadn't really gotten in long time, she got her period.

Adalaide Mentor

Haha, just felt like whining I guess. I've been complaining for 6 months about how going gluten free messed me up. I was perfectly 28 day regular before then bam and now is the time it picks to be normal again? I hate my body. Mostly because it hates me. I spent last week being like today? Oh oh maybe today? Actually hoping for it. How messed up is that? I ate a candy bar and know what, I may just eat another! :ph34r:

I think I'm just extra grumpy. I had to push myself extra hard last night to be able to go out to the movies with my husband. But I had promised him that the week that Hunger Games got to the second run theater we'd go that Tuesday because it would only be $2. So after I get all cozied up in bed with my book to read a few pages and pass out, completely exhausted, I get a text message at 12:04 this morning. (This will take back story, bear with me.) So, last week on Friday I get this random text about dad's birthday party and how it's a surprise. I'm like A: my dad's birthday was last month, B: the text wasn't from my only brother and C: my brother knows I wouldn't fly 2000 miles to have dinner with my dad for his birthday. It's just a birthday. So I text back this random person and am like dude, who is this. And he's like it's your brother Matt. I'm like I don't have a brother Matt. But apparently everyone he texted the first message to is just hitting "reply all" and sending me messages. ALL. THE. TIME. I keep texting them and telling them to stop.

I had it this morning. This Matt dude lives in Oregon. My alarm for work went off this morning at 5 am his time. I texted him. At 5 am his time. And told him to make it stop. This was after I got out of bed at midnight, googled his phone number, found out his name, his facebook page, his dad's name, his dad's phone number and was going to call his dad and spoil his dad's surprise birthday party. It wasn't stalking, it was leverage to make it stop. PMS much?

Life lesson: don't text PMSing women when they're trying to sleep and have early mornings. Also, always keep emergency chocolate in your purse for when you become mildly psychotic.

Gemini Experienced

Ugh! I know exactly how you are feeling. Mine are 21-28 days apart. And always crampy and make me feel like complete crap.

I agree with ya! Sucks!

Cheer up, ladies! Menopause will come and then you won't have those problems....just hot flashes and trouble sleeping for awhile!

:ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

lolz adalaide!! i have 4 (grown now) kids who would NOT mess with me when i had pms. evidently, my hair would annoy me so i would put it up. years later, they told me: mom. we *never* told you any bad news when your hair was up...

my oldest even had her car stolen from school by another student. cops involved and everything, the girl got arrested, etc. i heard about it a year later!! she says: mom. your hair was up.

my periods have been coming 1-5 days early, too. i used to be 28 days, never fail. i attributed it to having adult females living in the house with me, you know how they say women's bodies will automatically adjust so that everybody feels like sh*t at the same time. we would warn each other... "BE WARNED" that meant get ready here comes yours.

i'm ready to stop having it, but i hear menopause sucks, too. i don't have any use for it - i'm actually amazed that the human body can still reproduce at age 49. *shudder* glad i had my kids pretty young B)

Adalaide Mentor

O.......M.......G.........

My hair. It's in a pony tail today. I never, ever, work in a pony tail. Ever. I'm supposed to be all professional and crap. This morning I was like screw it. That is hilarious that your kids knew. Wouldn't it have been nice if they left chocolate bars all over the house too?

Heck, I'm 34 but I'm already like bring on the menopause! Seriously, who needs this crap? I'm not having more kids so why do I have to do this every month, or 3 weeks or whatever? I already can't sleep, between the insomnia and the husband who sounds like an entire army of chainsaw murderers. I'm cold all the time. Hot flashes? I'm currently shivering, so okay. Yes, I'm sure I'll b%$@# about them when they come but that's then, this is now.

beachbirdie Contributor

Yep, one of only two up sides of menopause! :P

Of course the insomnia, weight gain, water retention, night sweats/hot flashes, thinning hair, dry skin, and a couple of things I won't talk about, aren't necessarily worth it.

I think I'd rather be PMS-ing in all honesty. :wacko:

Gemini Experienced

My hair. It's in a pony tail today. I never, ever, work in a pony tail. Ever. I'm supposed to be all professional and crap. This morning I was like screw it. That is hilarious that your kids knew. Wouldn't it have been nice if they left chocolate bars all over the house too?

Heck, I'm 34 but I'm already like bring on the menopause! Seriously, who needs this crap? I'm not having more kids so why do I have to do this every month, or 3 weeks or whatever? I already can't sleep, between the insomnia and the husband who sounds like an entire army of chainsaw murderers. I'm cold all the time. Hot flashes? I'm currently shivering, so okay. Yes, I'm sure I'll b%$@# about them when they come but that's then, this is now.

Hot flashes are horrible. You feel like an incendiary device. You pour sweat from all pores until the flash is over, then you are freezing because all your pores are open and you are wet with sweat. I mean, freezing afterwards. I used to have horrible cycles, with excruciating pain and that was not as bad as hot flashes are. Be careful what you wish for...... :ph34r:;)

Gemini Experienced

Yep, one of only two up sides of menopause! :P

Of course the insomnia, weight gain, water retention, night sweats/hot flashes, thinning hair, dry skin, and a couple of things I won't talk about, aren't necessarily worth it.

I think I'd rather be PMS-ing in all honesty. :wacko:

You know.....water retention, thinning hair and dry skin are all symptoms of low thyroid. I have Hashi's and treat it well...not the way most doctors treat it and my hair is thick, I have never retained water and my skin isn't horribly dry but drier than it was in my youth. I really think that many women are hypo-thyroid later in life and it's not the menopause that causes all those symptoms.

There is a huge upside to menopause....you don't have to worry about becoming pregnant when you don't want to be. Not worrying about birth control is wonderful!

heathenly Apprentice

I'm really hoping that a good chunk of time without gluten will straighten my PMS and periods out some.

Another bad side effect of PMS: insane gluten craving. I had to drive halfway across town today to the only gluten-free bakery to get a freaking chocolate cupcake.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

I was just laying on the couch with my hot pack thinking how much this blows, and then I saw this thread haha I think it's fate.... ?

beachbirdie Contributor

You know.....water retention, thinning hair and dry skin are all symptoms of low thyroid. I have Hashi's and treat it well...not the way most doctors treat it and my hair is thick, I have never retained water and my skin isn't horribly dry but drier than it was in my youth. I really think that many women are hypo-thyroid later in life and it's not the menopause that causes all those symptoms.

There is a huge upside to menopause....you don't have to worry about becoming pregnant when you don't want to be. Not worrying about birth control is wonderful!

My thyroid is as well treated as it can be, hormone levels (T3 and T4) just above mid-range and zero TSH, so I know that's not my problem.

Yes, the not worrying about birth control is great, but sadly my menopause experience has not been kind, and I've lost the mojo. I am noticing a bit of stirring after two months gluten-free, maybe that is the key to more issues than I thought. I'm holding out hope. :unsure:

Menopause just hasn't been a good passage for me :(

anabananakins Explorer

You poor thing. I hate it too. But your comment about wanting to crawl under your desk made me laugh. One time I was introducing a new employee to everyone and when I got to one girls office she was curled up under her desk! It was both hilarious and super awkward and i felt so bad fot how bad she was feeling. Luckily the new employee was female too and I think she understood. Agony girl managed to pull herself together and be her normal professional self when we saw her a bit later and we all pretended we hadn't seen her curled up in a ball under her desk!

notme Experienced

THAT IS TOO FUNNY!! annnd, i would've b%$@#ed about that too lolz "what are all these freeking CHOCOLATE BARS doing all over the house???!!! rawrrrrrrr!!!!!" hahahaaa

when my son was about 9 or 10 he and his little buddies decided it would be a great idea to shoplift some candy on their way home from school. so, they get caught and the cops call me at my OFFICE. huge no-no! he tells the story: mom. you showed up and i knew i was dead. your hair was up.

menopause probably ain't goin' ta be pretty :o

Archived