123glldd

The Healing Process...mucus...etc

Rate this topic

Okay so i went completely gluten free may of this year....i'd been doing really well with it...and suddenly this month i thought i got glutened by paprika. Since this was mccormicks it seemed highly unlikely..everything else i'd eaten before...so i'm thinking now i wasn't actually glutened perhaps.....so here's the thing...

I was eating some Kettle Jalapeno chips cause i just love them..for the most part since the previous incident i've stayed pretty bland but sometimes i want something more...and today after eating them i had a small bit of mucusy feces again.

So the thing is....if i'm healing..why the heck do i seem more sensitive now than before? I know this happens with GLUTEN but i don't think i have been getting any gluten so what gives? I can never have anything remotely flavorful? It's just really weird...i can't figure out what my body is doing right now... any thoughts?

All I can say is that I've been glutened by paprika several times....and it was AWFUL!!! I read an article a few years back that said that gluten plus peppers can cause a particularly terrible reaction, and I've found this to be true. Since then I just always avoid spicy peppers. You can have flavor without peppers--really!

Oh i know but..i don't see where i could have gotten gluten from...and i've had peppers since going gluten free..there was nothing else new except the paprika but like i said it's mccormicks and they are well trusted by celiacs...i'm very very confused.

Actually, I'm baffled, too! I don't know why paprika and certain peppers set me off when they're supposedly gluten free.

What pepper is paprika made from? Is there a paprika pepper? LOL I have no clue. It seems normal bell peppers and what not were never a problem. And I was having stuff with hot peppers in it before all this happened and was fine too.

I seem to have become quite sensitive too (or I may not have noticed how sensitive I was until I was diagnosed with celiac). I have trouble with a lot of different foods and I think spicy stuff causes me problems as well. I've heard all the damage in your system is what causes the sensitivity. So I try to eat foods that are very easy to digest. But annoyingly I still have problems anyway.

Yeah that's the weird thing...what does it mean if you've been gluten free for two months...eating spicey stuff too...with no problems...then suddenly spicy food is a problem? I mean..what would cause that?

I'm not a doctor so all I can do is repeat my own experiences. I have found that there are certain foods that I can't tolerate, and they have nothing to do with gluten or grains at all. There seems to be no reason in the world that I can't tolerate leafy greens for example, but they go through me like water. And those wonderful Kettle Brand chips - I know they are made in a gluten-free facility so there is no chance of CC, but the only ones I can tolerate are the plain sea salt ones. I tried the ones with black pepper and within MINUTES I was feeling sick and within a few hours I had new psoriasis breaking out.

I guess it's just a trial and error type of thing. When you discover a food is giving you problems, just put that on the list of "can't eat" for a while. You might get it back someday, or you might not. I would have sworn I would never get corn back, but I can now tolerate corn starch. (Haven't tried corn oil yet, and I will NEVER eat anything with corn syrup, even if I could.) Potatoes are another one that I thought I'd never get back. I tried every type of potato there is - russets, red, gold, organic, you name it. They ALL made me sick. But now I can eat them with no problem.

I think the key is waiting until you are completely healed. I'm pretty sure I am healed now. I feel wonderful. It took 14 months for that to happen and I know for some it takes longer. I also know that for some people, it never happens. My Mom was one of those who had had celiac for so long that she had permanent damage. Sometimes she would get so sick for no good reason. Certain foods would bother her for a while, then later she could eat them again. None of it made any sense, but after a while she just accepted it, scratched that food off of her safe list, and would maybe try it again in six months.

So it could be possible that spicy stuff like cilantro chutney might not bother me but paprika might? Or peppers themselves might not bother me but for some reason paprika is a trigger? Because i was eating all kinds of spicy gluten free stuff including the jalapeno kettle chips and suddenly they bother me...but for the last two months i've been gluten free eating them and was fine...

So it could be possible that spicy stuff like cilantro chutney might not bother me but paprika might? Or peppers themselves might not bother me but for some reason paprika is a trigger? Because i was eating all kinds of spicy gluten free stuff including the jalapeno kettle chips and suddenly they bother me...but for the last two months i've been gluten free eating them and was fine...

Maybe you have simply reached the "tipping" point? take it/them out of your diet for several months and try in smaller doses.

What would the tipping point mean? That i ate it and it kept irritating it till i couldn't take anymore or something?

Paprika is very high in salicylates. Peppers are too, but it might just be that you reached the "tipping point" with sals. Salicylates build up in your system and everyone has a different level or "load" that they can handle. You could try an experiment: after eating paprika and getting sick from it, try to eat some peppers or other high sals food to see if THEY now make you sick.

Hmm...doesn't sound like much fun, does it? The other way to check is to stay away from high sals foods for several weeks, then try paprika again. If it doesn't make you sick, you have your answer. You will know it is salicylate sensitivity and then all you will have to do is keep track of how many high sals foods you eat so you don't exceed your load.

Paprika is very high in salicylates. Peppers are too, but it might just be that you reached the "tipping point" with sals. Salicylates build up in your system and everyone has a different level or "load" that they can handle. You could try an experiment: after eating paprika and getting sick from it, try to eat some peppers or other high sals food to see if THEY now make you sick.

Hmm...doesn't sound like much fun, does it? The other way to check is to stay away from high sals foods for several weeks, then try paprika again. If it doesn't make you sick, you have your answer. You will know it is salicylate sensitivity and then all you will have to do is keep track of how many high sals foods you eat so you don't exceed your load.

How does one know if their food is high in salicylates? I'm still eating stuff like simply potatoes traditional potatoes and amy's palak paneer etc...the palak paneer is practically the only thing with much flavor i've had and it has indian spices...im fine when i eat it...i've wondered about nightshades but then i'm fine on the potatoes...the potatoes have milk in them so i assume it's not milk tho i've stayed away from actually drinking milk recently.

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/

After you have checked out the lists of foods, go to their home page and check other sections of their site. VERY informative.

Well so far i'm having some better luck...re-introduced butter on my toast again and seem to be okay lol tomorrow will be beans or fish. Not sure which yet.