Celiac Mindwarp

B12 And Celiac Blood Test Help?

Rate this topic

Got loads of blood results, mostly ok I think but I am a bit unsure about, any help much appreciated.

My celiac result says:

Anti-transglutaminase level =Negative

Celiac disease unlikely unless IgA deficient/on a gluten free diet.

No other figures, values etc given. I have been wheat free 9 years and only lasted 3 weeks on gluten challenge.

B12 261 ng/L

I know this is considered normal in UK, but read elsewhere it would be regarded as a bit low.

My haemoglobin is 14.3 g/dL, so fine.

For B12 I had only been gluten-free a week and had just spent a month on atkins with good quality multivitamin.

Any clues what any of this might mean, if anything, would be great...

Unless you had been eating lots of barley and rye, one would expect a negative tTG after nine years on a gluten free diet.

It has been a while since I dealt with B12 ranges so can't comment. However, I am confused. When was the B12 run that you had only been gluten free for a week? Was that after a three-week gluten challenge. Three weeks is generally not accepted as being long enough for a gluten challenge where two months is normally considered to be the minimum. And if you had been gluten free for nine years prior, three weeks would not be long enough to lower B12 levels much (assuming that reading is normal).

was the 3 weeks before the blood test? If so you might not have been on it long enough (especially like mushroom said).

1 week challenge before the B12 test - my doctor didn't ,,,know the minimum recommend here is 6 weeks.

I had celiac test done at the same time but the lab lost it.

So when I retested for celiac only, in total I did 3 weeks gluten challenge, 10 days gluten free, 5 days gluten challenge (so gluten on 26 out of 36 days).

We were aiming for 6 weeks but I got too sick after 3. I did the extra 5 days in a desperate bid to do something after the lab lost my 1st results. I almost ended up in ER, so stopped then.

Sorry to be so confusing

I didn't really expect anything other than negative, but was surprised to see no figures or ranges for celiac.

I had no baseline for B12, so was wondering more generally about what is normal - reading around this seemed to be the low side of normal. Just wondered if it might be significant in terms of being a celiac symptom.

Though wheat free a long time I have eaten rye barley and oats, and odd bits of wheat, plus any cross contamination.

Do you take a sublingual tablet? I think they work better than a normal vitamin you would swallow. After being gluten-free just a week or so, my B12 tested well above the normal range (I think it was 890 and the reference range's upper limit was 750) even with very positive celiac blood tests. I actually cut back my B12's after I was diagnosed. LOL

Your challenge could have damaged the area where you absorb B12, or you might need to take more B12's or a different type/brand.

If you don't take sublinguals (disolved under the tongue), you might want to try them. It could help.