Ligii13

Blood Test Result Confusion

Rate this topic

I went to my primary care physician with symptoms. He too blood. When he called me with the results he said I may have celiac and to make an appt with a gastroenterologist. When I looked at the results the only thing abnormal were my transglutaminese Iga was 27.3 (my labs reference number was >15 positive). Does this mean I am positive for Celiac? Btw my mother has Celuac Disease. Why did my primary dr say maybe? My other numbers were normal.

There are other conditions that could potentially cause an elevated tTG IgA. Usually doctors like to do an endoscopy with biopsy to verify the blood test findings. It is unusual for all tests to be positive; that is why it is recommended that the full panel be run or you risk missing the diagnosis. If your mother is celiac the chances are pretty good that you are too. :)

The ttg isn't specific for celiac, but it is still pretty reliable (above 90%) with your mom having it, I would say you can almost bet on it. You need a full celiac panel done for TTG IGG and DGP and EMA as well.

I would say, with your family history, that you probably have celiac disease, especially if you are having symptoms. the tests that MitziG mentioned will give you more information.

Good luck with the tests and I hope you feel better soon.

The celiac panel he ran looked for My primary care physician ordered blood work transglutaminase IgA and IgG and gliadin IgG

gliadin IGA. The only on that came up elevated was the tranglutaminase IgA. I also have hypothyroid that is treated with Synthroid. So confused?

Thanks for all past and future opinions/advice!

No, it is not confusing -- see the responses you have already received. With a family history and an elevated tTG it is highly likely you have celiac disease. You can either follow your primary care's advice and make an appointment with a gastroenterologist for confirmation of the diagnosis, or try the gluten free diet if you don't want to go that route, and see if you feel better.

Even if further testing should turn out negative, if you are symptomatic you should give the diet a trial (after all testing you wish to have done has been completed).