This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Consultation With Gi

KikiB

KikiB Explorer

I met with the GI yesterday. I did not like her. She never smiled. She shook my hand while holding a pen. (Seriously, too busy to put the pen in the other hand before shaking?)

She felt dismissive after looking at my blood tests (negative). Although she said they did not run the IgA test? So if my IgA is low, the test results would be skewed. (I may not have that part exactly right -- she spoke very fast.) I had a hard time getting my questions in, although I did only feel dismissed.

She said she would take 3 to 4 biopsies. I said I have read, and have an article that says you should take 4 to 6 -- and she said 3 to 4 was enough.

I want to get this over with, but at the same time, I don't want to waste my time with not enough biopsies.

What should I do?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Tough call. Some great docs have horrible interpersonal skills so I wouldn't change docs because of her rudeness.

At least she did realize that a Total IgA had been missed and is willing to schedule endo based on your symptoms with negative blood work - there are many docs that won't consider endo without positive blood work. I actually think that she replied 3 or 4 is enough is a positive - again there are GIs that will not take samples unless they "see" damage. My initial endo with an excellent celiac doc had only three samples of the small intestine along with a few samples from other tissue.

Aside from the attitude did you get the sense she has experience with celiac - some of her comments show that she does have celiac knowledge.

Perhaps you should ask yourself - if my biopsies come back negative am I ready to remove gluten? I get the sense that you are and if this is the case I'd go ahead and schedule the endo and let her know you understand she takes 3-4 samples, but would prefer her to take at least 4.

All that said, if you remain unsure of her - look into another GI that specializes in Celiac Disease.

More frustration - do wish yesterday went a bit more smoothly for you - hang in there - you were prepared for the appointment and that is the best you can do :)

IrishHeart Veteran

SKILisa said everything I might have said and more.

So, I'll just say: "I agree".

Yes, some docs do not have the best bedside manner, but she seems to be willing to follow through with you.

When is the biopsy scheduled?

KikiB Explorer

SKILisa said everything I might have said and more.

So, I'll just say: "I agree".

Yes, some docs do not have the best bedside manner, but she seems to be willing to follow through with you.

When is the biopsy scheduled?

Thanks Lisa & IrishHeart for the feedback. It's scheduled for 11/6. That would give me just over a month of the gluten challenge. She said 3 weeks of 2 pieces of bread a day would be enough...

I would like to get it over with. I'm just concerned she won't find any damage from the 3 biopsies and it will feel like a waste of time.

IrishHeart Veteran

But it will not be a waste of time. It is always wise to rule out a serious autoimmune disease, hon.

The main thing is....do you feel better off gluten?

If so, give it up and feel well.

You do not need anyone's permission to change your diet and and take control of your health, right?

I assure you, I eat very well without gluten in my life. No one needs this one stupid food protein to live a healthy life. My hubs is a perfect example (not a celiac, but gluten-free and as healthy as it gets) He eats like a king. :)

mushroom Proficient

An EGD is never a waste of time if you are symptomatic -- it is a diagnostic tool. If it doesn't find anything, that is good :D

You have already found out that you can't eat gluten. Now you can rule out any problem other than gluten. You can choose to do the challenge or not, it is up to you, but I would go ahead with the EGD. (You don't have to tell her you didn't eat gluten -- if she asks you how the challenge went you can tell her it was terrible :rolleyes: )

KikiB Explorer

But it will not be a waste of time. It is always wise to rule out a serious autoimmune disease, hon.

The main thing is....do you feel better off gluten?

If so, give it up and feel well.

You do not need anyone's permission to change your diet and and take control of your health, right?

I assure you, I eat very well without gluten in my life. No one needs this one stupid food protein to live a healthy life. My hubs is a perfect example (not a celiac, but gluten-free and as healthy as it gets) He eats like a king. :)

Thanks! I really appreciate the encouragement!

An EGD is never a waste of time if you are symptomatic -- it is a diagnostic tool. If it doesn't find anything, that is good :D

You have already found out that you can't eat gluten. Now you can rule out any problem other than gluten. You can choose to do the challenge or not, it is up to you, but I would go ahead with the EGD. (You don't have to tell her you didn't eat gluten -- if she asks you how the challenge went you can tell her it was terrible :rolleyes: )

lol! I'm still eating it. I can make it to the biopsy. I'm looking forward to not eating it anymore afterwards.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Wise woman. (and look at you, multiquoting like a champ).

KikiB Explorer

Wise woman. (and look at you, multiquoting like a champ).

:D

Archived