jwblue

Will An Endoscopy Show Physical Evidence Of Celiac?

Rate this topic

Will an endoscopy show evidence of Celiac or does the doctor need to take a specimen for lab testing?

I have had two endoscopies for other digestive disorders and am disappointed that the doctor didn't suggest I be tested for Celiac.

Why not since he is down there already?

Now I have to have an endoscopy just for Celiac.

Is it possible the doctor did not see any physical evidence of Celiac and decided a lab test was not necessary?

Yes, it's possible they didn't see it. It may not be visible to the naked eye or the damage can be patchy, and they did not look in an area which had the damage closely enough. For celiac, they are supposed to look in the area where the stomach and intestines meet, the duodenum. They are supposed to take enough samples for biopsy that they get a good representation of the status of the area.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/living-with-celiac/guide/diagnosis

It also may not have been something they were looking for at the time. It can't be diagnosed with the naked eye.

Is it possible the doctor did not see any physical evidence of Celiac and decided a lab test was not necessary?

In a word, yes. Only in severe cases is the damage visible to the naked eye. Usually it is not. Marsh I and II are not visible, but are definitive diagnostics. You have to be well into the March III stages before it may be visible. Marsh IV is total destruction of the villi and will be visible to a trained eye (been there).

In a word, yes. Only in severe cases is the damage visible to the naked eye. Usually it is not. Marsh I and II are not visible, but are definitive diagnostics. You have to be well into the March III stages before it may be visible. Marsh IV is total destruction of the villi and will be visible to a trained eye (been there).

Did you have any symptoms with Marsh IV?

Did you have any symptoms with Marsh IV?

Additional questions for PSawyer :

Did it heal well?

How long did you have symptoms?

I had severe symptoms for years prior to my diagnosis: diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, cold sweats, anemia, and others.

I saw a significant improvement within six weeks, but it was more like six months to feel normal. A follow-up five years later showed normal villi. In other words, complete healing of the intestine on a strict gluten-free diet.

• Upvote 1

Peter

What amazing healing. It is so great to hear others stories. No wonder you are such a good advocate :)

Are you talking endoscopy or colonoscopy?? Two different things, two different ends. :)

I just had my endoscopy yesterday and one of the questions I asked in advance was whether damage would be visible or not. He said most times the damage is only microscopic so they do their best to determine where to sample/biopsy and they use multiple locations just for that reason. Mine was ugly. I had many visible spots on the printout of some photos he took while in there and for now he just diagnosed as erosive gastritis for the damage to my stomach lining (way too much ibuprofen over the last few years - daily - due to celiac-induced headaches) and duodenitis for the damage seen to the intestine/duodenem (sp?).

He was surprised to see so much damage visibly, but even invisible damage is of great concern so either way it is important that they take multiple samples.

Edit: Of note to anyone who reads this and has not been diagnosed, I've been gluten free for 2 months now and my endoscopy results were still very visible. Not everyone will see the same results, obviously, but any doubters can rest assured that even if you are gluten free for some time, they may still be able to medically diagnose you accurately from the endoscopy. I don't have blood results back yet, but he seems certain they'll also agree with the endoscopy just due to the severity of the damage. Moral of the story...if you want to know and have self-diagnosed recently...GO GET TESTED! You may be pleased to have a medical confirmation and a plan to heal your blood, bone, thyroid or whatever issues you have that need more than supplements and gluten-free diet.