This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Until Stomach Ache Goes Away?

smpalesh

smpalesh Explorer

I am only on day 2 of gluten-free eating and I am being very careful. I guess I thought if I wasn't eating gluten foods that I would stop getting a stomach ache every time I ingest food. This morning I ate gluten-free honey chex (no milk) and about 45 minutes later I had a horrible stomach ache. Same thing awhile later when I ate a gluten-free tart from a gluten-free bakery. Am I going to keep having a stomach ache every time I ingest food?? How will I even know if going gluten-free is the right decision when it is still making me sick?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DavinaRN Explorer

It took about two weeks for me to really notice a difference. At first I just started feeling a little less sick. Hang in there.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Maybe try just some simple fresh foods for a while? Meat, fish, veg, fruit...

Some people find gluten-free products are ok as a treat, especially once you start feeling better

shadowicewolf Proficient

get off the processed stuff fully. Your body is still too raw to handle them.

smpalesh Explorer

I am hoping I will not have to go dairy-free. 2/3 of my diet is smoothies (I do Visalus smoothies with lots of fresh fruit and skim milk). The smoothie mix itself is gluten-free but obviously not dairy-free. Maybe I could mix it with almond milk to at least reduce the amount of dairy. But I really don't want to cut it out completely bc the smoothies have really helped improve a lot of my nutritional deficiences.

nvsmom Community Regular

My stomach aches improved after about a week and was MUCH better after a couple of months. It takes a while to get better, and thje first few weeks can be tough if you experience withdrawl.

I would suggest going dairy free for a while too. Almond and coconut milks are tastey and often fortified with vitamins. For added protein, you can add vegan protein powders to your smoothies. Cow milk is not actually that nutritious without the added vitamins; the proteins and fats are good, but the calcium in milk is much harder to absorb than from plant sources.

Many celiacs find they can add milk back after half a year or so after their gut has healed. Since milk can actually cause some villi damage (as far as I have heard) in people with sensitivities to it, it's a good thing to cut for a while.

Best wishes.

mushroom Proficient

If you really do have celiac disease, you will have damage to the part of your small intestine which produces the enzyme which digests the lactase in milk. Therefore, the milk will cause just as much pain for your stomach as gluten, because it will not digest but putrefy, produce gas and cause bloating, cramping and diarrhea. After you have healed you should be able to handle milk again. I would strongly advise you to use almond, rice or hemp (or even coconut) milk instead of dairy milk in your smoothies. These milks are very flavorful and healthy for you. Trader Joe's makes a hemp protein powder you could add to your smoothies if you wanted. or add an additional protein powder of your choice..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived