This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hi All

bm1984

bm1984 Newbie

Hi all,

My name is Ben, I'm 27 years of age.

Going back a couple of years now, I started to notice that I had a bout of diarrhea pretty much the moment I had finished eating my lunch at work. At first I put it down to some sort of sickness or - heaven forbid - simply signs of age! The diarrhea would never last (like when you get a proper illness) - it would pretty much vanish the moment I had been to the toilet.

Two years later I'm still experiencing it. I noticed that it was always after I had eaten my lunch. I also noticed that I didn't tend to get the same problems over the weekend (which I realised could possibly because I don't eat the things I eat on a weekday, over the weekend [i.e. sandwiches etc] as I tend to have cooked meals on the weekend).

Recently however, I have started having the same problem but in the morning - when I prepared my sandwiches/lunch for work!

I have no idea why it has taken me as long as it has to do anything about it, but this morning I decided to "Google it".

My first search bought up lactose intolerance. Reading that, some symptoms did make it sound a possibility. Then it had a link to IBS. This sounded less like my issue in all honesty. Finally I seen a link to Celiac Disease. By the time I had read the article I was 99% sure this is what I suffer from.

Going by the sypmtoms, I should probably consider myself quite lucky. My symptoms are literally limited to diarrhea. I don't get many headaches so those that I do get are unlikely (well, I think) to be as a direct result of Celiac Disease. I am however tired ALL the time - so I guess this could very well be a symptom related to it also.

However - and I'm not sure if this is possible - as I mentioned earlier, I've now started getting a bout of pretty much instant diarrhea the moment I even TOUCH bread!?!? For around the last 6 months (maybe a little longer) I get a bout come on the moment I start to prepare my sandwiches. I know it might sound insane, but I definitely don't eat anything when I'm preparing them so it's all that I can think of?! Is this known/common??

Given the above, do you think it sounds likely I suffer from Celiac Disease?

I guess I should probably still see a doctor just in case, but from what I've read I personally think it seems as though I am a sufferer.

I must admit, it's a fair daunting thought as it's pretty much a lifechanging condition. Obviously all of you will know exactly what it feels like but - yeh - did it feel this daunting to many of you?!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read. Hopefully I'll hear some of your replies shortly.

Many thanks,

Ben

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome Ben!

You certainly could have Celiac Disease or Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance.

It is VERY important to have your doctor order a full celiac blood panel BEFORE you remove gluten from your diet. The antibodies measured in these tests are produced in reaction to gluten ingestion.

Also a good idea to be tested for nutritional deficincies - celiac can cause malabsorption issues.

Hang in there - make sure all tests are completed and then remove ALL gluten for at least three monts as elimination is the only test for NCGI.

bm1984 Newbie

Welcome Ben!

You certainly could have Celiac Disease or Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance.

It is VERY important to have your doctor order a full celiac blood panel BEFORE you remove gluten from your diet. The antibodies measured in these tests are produced in reaction to gluten ingestion.

Also a good idea to be tested for nutritional deficincies - celiac can cause malabsorption issues.

Hang in there - make sure all tests are completed and then remove ALL gluten for at least three monts as elimination is the only test for NCGI.

Thank you for the reply Lisa :)

I'll take your advice and get a doctors appointment asap! I will also continue with my current diet until I've see the doctor.

Thanks again!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Welcome to the board. I agree that getting tested is a good idea. It may not be the making of the sandwiches that is getting you every morning it may be the timing. There are some of us that will have D every morning on gluten, after any gluten meal, alternating C and D or even just C. Do give the diet a good strict try after all celiac related testing is done as false negatives are not uncommon.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Greetings Ben,

I sure hope you have discovered the solution to your problems before it got to bad. Please let us know what happens for your testing. I have reacted to having barley flour in the same room, so I don't think it is impossible to have problems when preparing sandwiches. After testing maybe you can bring a thermos full of warm food for lunches.

Get well,

Diana

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Yes, I found it daunting when I went through the list of symptoms! It explains 20 odd years of symptoms.

It does start to get manageable, and you have some time to read and prepare while you get testing done. Someone will be along with a good list for you soon...

The folks here are great for any wobbly moments as well as great advice.

Welcome and good luck with some answers

mushroom Proficient

Here's the list of the celiac tests to be done:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG

Total Serum IgA

Do get all of them (insist) because sometimes you end up positive on only one or two - but that's all it takes. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived