This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

If Celiac Is Caught And Treated Early Is There Still Risk For Other Autoimmune?

guest134

guest134 Apprentice

As some of you know I may be diagnosed with early celiac. If my ab's don't go down and it is proven celiac and we treat it am I still at risk for developing other autoimmune diseases? We already checked 15 different antibodies, negative for everything so as of right now it is just the possibility of early celiac. Thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

It is always possible to develop one. I think the fact that ya have one already puts ya at a slightly higher risk, but treating it early enough probably stopped it from getting any higher.

GottaSki Mentor

That is a very good question. I doubt anyone can give you odds on this one. All autoimmune disorders are top on my list for much more research needed.

What I can tell you is if your next round of antibody tests does not have lower numbers -- I would advise you (as I would my own children) -- to remove ALL gluten for at least three months - six is better - then test blood again to see if antibodies are reduced.

AI symptoms can occur with celiac disease - without "classic" symptoms.

You have done a great deal of research - I believe you will find a good path that will lead to health and limit the risks that gluten may cause you.

nvsmom Community Regular

From what I've read, yes, once your body has started making antibodies against itself you are more likely to develop another autoimmune disease than someone who does not have AI diseases. Some medical circles are even starting to classify the diseases into groups: celiac disease falls into the Type III Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome. Heres's a quick overview:

Open Original Shared Link

It makes sense to me when I consider my own personal experiences because my immune system has attacked my intestine, thyroid and platelets, and I suspect it is attacking my soft connective tissues too.

Celiac disease is not the main link in this syndrome, it's thyroiditis that is the common disease. I do wonder if my celiac had been discovered earlier if I would have devloped my problems but after reading about all the diseases and how they often overlap, I kind of doubt it was the cause... although it might have helped it to appear earlier in my life that it might have otherwise.

This is just my opinion and interpretation of what I've read though. I could be way off.

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

I was talking to a prof of Weil Cornell the other night, and she confirmed that a) we don't know much about these disorders, especially because they involve multiple organs, and B) it is more correct to talk of "a condition of autoimmunity" rather than of singular diseases, ie a body's tendency to attack its own tissues.

That said, you may create antibodies and never develop the disease: my endo has arthritis rheumatoid, and has had antithyroid antibodies for twenty years, but she never developed thyroid disease.

Archived