This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am Not Getting Better

jamesM11

jamesM11 Newbie

i have not eatin gluten for 10 months and i dont feel better , is this normal , what else can i do to help me feel better , i am starting to lose hope

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I'm sorry you are still sick. Have you read the "newbie 101" thread? It will help you find the places gluten hides so you don't get cross-contaminated. Do you live with gluten eaters? If so, you need a dedicated toaster, your own colander, your own jars of condiments, and to keep your food away from theirs. I know it sounds crazy, but a few weeks ago I got glutened from touching a cookie crumb and not washing my hands before I ate. Mind you, I didn't EAT the cookie crumb, just touched it.

Another thing that unfortunately happens to a lot of us is additional intolerances. Lots of folks have trouble with dairy and soy. Some of us have trouble with corn or nightshade vegetables. Then there are salicylates, oxylates, lectins, and other natural chemicals in foods.

But I would start simple. Make sure you aren't getting cross-contamination. Then, if you are still sick, try doing away with dairy. If you are STILL sick, do away with soy. After that, if you are still getting sick, an elimination diet sounds in order.

Read as much as you can here. Ask lots of questions. We will help you figure this out! (((HUGS)))

kareng Grand Master

Did you try or look into any of the answers you were given a few weeks ago?

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/98258-not-getting-better-please-help/#entry838335

jamesM11 Newbie

yes i live with my mom and she eats gluten , and we wipe down everything that gluten touches , and everything wooden that we use in the kitchen we bought new ones

jamesM11 Newbie

i am also very gasy

dilettantesteph Collaborator

To help you better, give us an idea of what is going on? What are you eating, what precautions are you taking etc. It is hard to offer help without more information.

The little information that you gave said that you wipe down everything that gluten touches. Can you give more details on that? You may need to do it more carefully. Do you use soap?

You might need to have a separate counter. It would depend on how sensitive you are. I am very sensitive and didn't get better until we made our household gluten free. The gluten eaters were still able to eat gluten out of the house. Many celiacs are able to prepare gluten containing food without problems. It depends on your level of sensitivity.

LDJofDenver Apprentice

I'd like to suggest that (even though you wipe everything down that comes into contact with gluten) you get in the habit of NEVER putting any of your food down on a counter -- instead grab a plate, or paper plate, or piece of wax paper, etc. It's a good habit to get into and adds a pretty foolproof layer of protection in your food handling.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jamesM11 Newbie

is it comen to take this long to get better ??

GFinDC Veteran

is it common to take this long to get better ??

Hi James,

It is not super unusual for people to have continuing symptoms for quite a while. The trick to stopping them is to make sure you are 100% gluten-free. That means everything including vitamin pills, medicines, pet food, kisses from girlfriends etc. If that doesn't help then you may need to look at other food intolerances. The immune response doesn't stop in a few hours after a glutening, it can continue for weeks. So if you get just a little bit of gluten but only once a week it still keeps the immune system response going, possibly for months or years.

jamesM11 Newbie

can anyone recomened a good probiotic and gas medication ty for all ur help

1desperateladysaved Proficient

i have not eatin gluten for 10 months and i dont feel better , is this normal , what else can i do to help me feel better , i am starting to lose hope

Don't lose hope until you have tried to solve it from all angles. If gluten free alone doesn't solve it, you can try looking for other intolerances and nutrient defieciencies. After that, you can supplement and cater to intolerances. If you are doing all of these and still are having trouble perhaps more time will solve, or allow you to find the next step for you.

Diana

GFinDC Veteran

Hi James,

One thing you can do for gas is avoid sugars and starchy foods. Those make lots of food for bacteria which then make gas. Peppermint tea or Altoids peppermints are good for getting gas out of the stomach,.. But don't get in the habit of taking them every day, think of them as a medicine.

Solgar and Country Life or Nature Made brands are good for pro-biotics and enzymes. Or Vitamin Shoppe brands.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Robert Noah
    Newest Member
    Robert Noah
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Nacina
      Well, that's a big question. When he was seeing the nutrition response testing dr. that changed each time we went in. He hasn't been seeing him regularly for theist ten months. When he had a horribly week in March I started him back on the 4 that were suggested to keep him on. Those are: Standard Process Chlorophyll Complex gluten-free, SP A-F Betafood gluten-free, SP Tuna Omega-3 Oil gluten-free, And Advanced Amino Formula. He also takes a one a day from a company called Forvia (multivitamin and mineral) and Probiotic . Recently he had to start Vitamin D as well as he was deficient.  
    • Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B